Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 and Xbox One as a platform for PBM games
So, as I mentioned in another thread, I'm in the Alpha Test stage of my new PBM game Cohorts : Veil of Entropy.

After several failed starts, working on various platforms, I've decided to launch the game as a Windows 10 app that will be able to be played on any Windows 10 device (other than a phone for logistics reasons), including Xbox One.

There are many arguments against developing a Windows 10 game, but for me, creating a game that uses a single set of code and is extremely fast, was key.

My previous attempt was developed in a Web/Server environment, but the logistics of maintaining two sets of code (one javascript and one c#) was more than I wanted to take on.  And yes, I could have developed the entire application in javascript ... but my I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  I admit that javascript can be used to do some pretty amazing stuff, but at the end of the day, I like my programming languages to be strongly typed and fully object oriented.

If Cohorts is successful enough as a Windows 10 app, I'll consider hiring somebody to port it to the web.

Happy Gaming,

Paul