Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Onion
Hi,
Started playing PBM games in 1980 or 81 when I picked up a copy of Space Gamer Magazine and saw some ads. I tried Beyond the Stellar Empire and I think a Flying Buffalo game before I settled on Universe II by Clemens and Associates. Through that I met a guy who was halfway across the country and has been a great friend ever since. We played U II as allies for years and got into two other Clemens games Celetrek II and Terra II (turns input on punchcards!) Oh the memories! Oh the stress when waiting for a turn and the postman stopped up the street to have beers for lunch with the retired postmaster!!!
I have to admit to spending a stoopid amount of money on a Terra II manual just last week off e-bay but I've been looking for one for decades.

Glad I found this site!!!

Bonus: I used to travel down to The Complete Stratigest in NYC to get Space Gamer and the guy who played Wyatt in the movie Weird Science worked there... that was weird.
Hi, Onion. I got into PBM via Universe III - the licensed version of U-II run by Central Texas Computing - although it was run on a TRS-80 Model III. I also visited the Compleat Strategist a time or twenty when I lived in the Village, though I was looking for the latest Traveler supplements. Do you do any gaming these days?
(04-10-2011, 07:34 PM)Onion Wrote: Hi,
Started playing PBM games in 1980 or 81 when I picked up a copy of Space Gamer Magazine and saw some ads. I tried Beyond the Stellar Empire and I think a Flying Buffalo game before I settled on Universe II by Clemens and Associates. Through that I met a guy who was halfway across the country and has been a great friend ever since. We played U II as allies for years and got into two other Clemens games Celetrek II and Terra II (turns input on punchcards!) Oh the memories! Oh the stress when waiting for a turn and the postman stopped up the street to have beers for lunch with the retired postmaster!!!
I have to admit to spending a stoopid amount of money on a Terra II manual just last week off e-bay but I've been looking for one for decades.

Glad I found this site!!!

Bonus: I used to travel down to The Complete Stratigest in NYC to get Space Gamer and the guy who played Wyatt in the movie Weird Science worked there... that was weird.

Welcome aboard the site, Onion! We're glad that you found the place, also.

I would like to hear more about those games that you mentioned (Celetrek II, Terra II, and Universe II), if and when you get time to expound upon them for us.