Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Discussion About The Game (TAKAMO)
So what do you want to talk about? Any questions?
(04-29-2014, 01:17 AM)Nazareth Wrote: Hey Walter, you got awful quiet. You and Grim planning Galactic conquest already?

In fact, the entire Takamo board has gone mute. Makes me nervous!

Mine isn't intentional. I took a week off, and planned to use it to get Issue # 6 ready, and to read the Takamo rulebook (and then put the rulebook info in a format that was more useful to me, to allow me to get my orders in fairly swiftly). But, sometimes, life visits other priorities upon you. On the PBM end of things, I'm very behind - even in my Facebook updates, which tends to be usually a paragraph, at most.

I just, now, loaded my e-mail up for the first time in several days. I have a couple of hundred e-mails to sort through, and that's in just one e-mail account, alone.
(04-29-2014, 01:22 AM)Tregonsee Wrote: So what do you want to talk about? Any questions?

Actually I've had quite a few, but have sent them on to the gms, who have been more than patient with me. I'm feeling kind of guilty for bothering them.

But here is one. After looking over my setup, I just noticed that in one subsector I have a TW that is in system 2. My setup doesn't show a system 1. I was under the impression that systems in a subsector start with 1 and work their way up. So can I assume that there is a system 1 and I didn't have the scan for it? Never thought to scan the subsectors with systems I started in to see if there were more there.
(04-30-2014, 01:02 AM)Nazareth Wrote:
(04-29-2014, 01:22 AM)Tregonsee Wrote: So what do you want to talk about? Any questions?

Actually I've had quite a few, but have sent them on to the gms, who have been more than patient with me. I'm feeling kind of guilty for bothering them.

But here is one. After looking over my setup, I just noticed that in one subsector I have a TW that is in system 2. My setup doesn't show a system 1. I was under the impression that systems in a subsector start with 1 and work their way up. So can I assume that there is a system 1 and I didn't have the scan for it? Never thought to scan the subsectors with systems I started in to see if there were more there.

More than likely the subsector is in a stellar cloud. Also, star1 might not have planets or is even a Black Hole
Yep, Stellar clouds. System 1 would have to have a star, blackhole, nova or something for there to be a system 2. A friend has confirmed that there could be other systems in the same subsector as your HW by scanning for them. Could be some bad stuff or another planet system. Have to investigate I suppose.

Here's another one, if I send an explorer or scout to scan an occupied planet, will it give me the forts, fighters, (planet defenses), assuming it survives? If not, how best to get that?

Next question, looking over raising MUs. Says I can raise a MU for 5 RUs using the recruit order. Also says that I can use the mobilize order and get 10 MU's for the cost of 100 RUs and the loss of 1 pop. I must be misunderstanding something, because mobilizing cost me 10 RUs per MU plus the loss of a pop, while I could recruit 10 MUs for 50 RUs and no pop loss!? What am I missing?
(05-01-2014, 01:24 AM)Nazareth Wrote: Yep, Stellar clouds. System 1 would have to have a star, blackhole, nova or something for there to be a system 2. A friend has confirmed that there could be other systems in the same subsector as your HW by scanning for them. Could be some bad stuff or another planet system. Have to investigate I suppose.

Here's another one, if I send an explorer or scout to scan an occupied planet, will it give me the forts, fighters, (planet defenses), assuming it survives? If not, how best to get that?

Next question, looking over raising MUs. Says I can raise a MU for 5 RUs using the recruit order. Also says that I can use the mobilize order and get 10 MU's for the cost of 100 RUs and the loss of 1 pop. I must be misunderstanding something, because mobilizing cost me 10 RUs per MU plus the loss of a pop, while I could recruit 10 MUs for 50 RUs and no pop loss!? What am I missing?

It might and it might not. It might get attacked by said forts or fighters. Even if you get a reading, there is a chance that it is "off" or even blocked. When you go up in tech level, the chances for this happening decreases.

As for mobilization, think of it as a last ditch defense. POPs are valuable and take a long time to fill up a planet from scratch. You want to recruit if you can, because you can only recruit so many MU per turn, based on the amount of POPs you have and whether you have an AG center or not <insert shameless ad for Apshain Federation here>.

Recruiting is cheaper and conserves your POPs. Mobilizing costs more/MU and kills POPs.
Did everyone get their turns ok? One thing that I noticed is that you need to be sure that all fields are filled out properly and no spaces exist in planet/system names (XXX 12215). If not the game machine does not like you...
(05-03-2014, 04:22 PM)Tregonsee Wrote: Did everyone get their turns ok? One thing that I noticed is that you need to be sure that all fields are filled out properly and no spaces exist in planet/system names (XXX 12215). If not the game machine does not like you...

Igot my turn results and a lot of my turn was messed up due to no fleet number attached to the action. on the input program everything is as it should be. I dont know what to do about it. I am low on income due to rebuilding and when I base my turn on the income building actions at the beginning of my turn and they do not work due to a screw up in the programming....it messed up my entire turn.
(05-03-2014, 05:03 PM)Nicademus Wrote:
(05-03-2014, 04:22 PM)Tregonsee Wrote: Did everyone get their turns ok? One thing that I noticed is that you need to be sure that all fields are filled out properly and no spaces exist in planet/system names (XXX 12215). If not the game machine does not like you...

Igot my turn results and a lot of my turn was messed up due to no fleet number attached to the action. on the input program everything is as it should be. I dont know what to do about it. I am low on income due to rebuilding and when I base my turn on the income building actions at the beginning of my turn and they do not work due to a screw up in the programming....it messed up my entire turn.
I would ask Thom (thomwalla@aol.com) about it
(05-03-2014, 05:09 PM)Tregonsee Wrote:
(05-03-2014, 05:03 PM)Nicademus Wrote:

I got my turn results and a lot of my turn was messed up due to no fleet number attached to the action. on the input program everything is as it should be. I don't know what to do about it. I am low on income due to rebuilding and when I base my turn on the income building actions at the beginning of my turn and they do not work due to a screw up in the programming....it messed up my entire turn.
I would ask Thom (thomwalla@aol.com) about it

Okay, sorry about the messed up actions. Since we restarted the game have had players forgetting to put a fleet number in their turns for some action codes. This causes a crash and Randy has to search for the bad action and correct it or delete if he couldn't figure out what fleet the player actually wished to use. At first because we didn't have that many players and it wasn't too bad. However last week it took a considerable time to fix everything due to the sheer number of players. Not complaining. We like the players coming back to the game. But if we got many more and the same thing happened over and over it was going to take forever to get through the run.

So I reactivated old code that checked to make sure a player entered a fleet id for actions that required one. (I programmed this into the old input program so a player could not enter an action that needed a fleet id to take care of the problem on the players side rather than the code side) Trouble was in the original code certain action checks were not programmed correctly, 5 to be exact. Probably why the code was discontinued a long time ago. After I reactivated it I randomly checked about 10-15 action codes to make sure they would run and they all did. But Murphey's law says you don't check the ones that are bad. So good news. Code fixed. And better news Randy will be contacting anyone with a bad result due to this and make it right. So stay tuned to your email for a message from him. And again sorry for messing up your turns.