Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Discussion About The Game (TAKAMO)
(04-19-2014, 04:09 PM)GrimFinger Wrote: I was commandeered, after I got home from work, yesterday evening, and forced to consume copious amounts of food.

'Twas a mere pretext to a lesser event - shopping.

I had planned to do my turn orders, after I got off from work. But, I had to go shopping for a washing machine, instead.

In case any might wonder, shopping for a washing machine is NOT more exciting than conquering the universe. But, there doesn't seem to be any turn results, when the turn is missed.
You can turn them in early. I generally turn mine in Thurs night.
(04-19-2014, 01:20 AM)Takamo44 Wrote: No, it's a windows program but written way back in the mid-late 90's when 16 bit processors were still the norm as well as 16 bit OS. I think Windows 95 or 98 was the first 32 bit. So dos emulators will not run it. However if you have a pro version of Windows 7 you can download Virtual PC XP mode which will run it just fine. And I believe a 32bit version of Windows 7 Pro runs it fine too. Not sure about home versions of Windows 7 though.

I have a laptop with Windows 7 Pro running. I am interested in trying the software.

How difficult do you think it would be to adapt it to more recent operating systems? Would you be keen to share the source code (if you have it)?
(04-19-2014, 04:27 PM)Tregonsee Wrote:
(04-19-2014, 04:09 PM)GrimFinger Wrote: I was commandeered, after I got home from work, yesterday evening, and forced to consume copious amounts of food.

'Twas a mere pretext to a lesser event - shopping.

I had planned to do my turn orders, after I got off from work. But, I had to go shopping for a washing machine, instead.

In case any might wonder, shopping for a washing machine is NOT more exciting than conquering the universe. But, there doesn't seem to be any turn results, when the turn is missed.
You can turn them in early. I generally turn mine in Thurs night.

We do send out turn results even if you do not submit a turn. We are still having trouble with your service returning attached files as possible spam. I have forwarded the message failure notice to Thom to see if he can help.
I'm running windows 7 home 64 bit, Explorer 11. Everything works good for me also. I also feel fortunate. Issued 46 orders, all took.
(04-19-2014, 10:40 PM)Takamo Wrote: We do send out turn results even if you do not submit a turn. We are still having trouble with your service returning attached files as possible spam. I have forwarded the message failure notice to Thom to see if he can help.

I don't use a spam filter.
(04-12-2014, 01:39 AM)Trader_Phred Wrote:
(04-12-2014, 01:24 AM)Tregonsee Wrote: What was your race name back then?

My first character in the 80's was an Estra ICB, "Magrathea, Ltd" and the second one in the 90's was a Tarkia Trade Corp, "Megabucks".

Was the leader of Magrathea the venerable Slartibartfast?
(04-20-2014, 09:40 AM)GrimFinger Wrote:
(04-19-2014, 10:40 PM)Takamo Wrote: We do send out turn results even if you do not submit a turn. We are still having trouble with your service returning attached files as possible spam. I have forwarded the message failure notice to Thom to see if he can help.

I don't use a spam filter.

I know.
Received my second turn of Takamo this morning. I submitted my turn Thursday evening and then walked the floor until Saturday morning waiting for it. It has been a very long time since I was this excited and eager to receive a turn result. I remember checking the mailbox every day, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day waiting for turn results on some of the great games I played back in the day. While I am receiving these turns in my inbox instead of my mailbox, I still consider them both in the same zip code.

So far, my turns have been there waiting for me Saturday morning like clockwork. I can't say the same for some of my pbm game turns. However, in open ended power games, the lull between turns was often taken up by diplomacy/correspondence. Having never played Takamo back in the day, I can't say how much of that power gamer diplomacy exists in this game. I would think that as the game progresses it will be there. Maybe some of the old Takamo hands can chime in and share some of their diplomatic successes, or failures.-) But for now, Takamo has taken me back several years to, dare I say the 'Golden Years' of pbm. I also can't praise enough the gms enough for their helpfulness. Truly don't know when they sleep.

Thank you Takamo, Randy, Thom and the team for bringing back that excitement that I thought was lost forever. Now maybe I can finally let go of that pile of Paper Mayhems, Flagships, Gaming Universals and others. NAH......
Glad you are enjoying the game. It is really our pleasure. Running Takamo again is a lot of fun. We are connecting with old friends and remembering how many cool features we were working on when the game ended. Spies, diplomats, NPC AI, etc.

I have a few old zines as well. Never giving them up...
Hey Walter, you got awful quiet. You and Grim planning Galactic conquest already?

In fact, the entire Takamo board has gone mute. Makes me nervous!