Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Discussion About The Game (TAKAMO)
Discuss Takamo here.
So I subscribed yesterday after having a quick look at the rules, and just received my initial position. Did anyone else make the dive?
(04-07-2014, 12:41 PM)kwll Wrote: So I subscribed yesterday after having a quick look at the rules, and just received my initial position. Did anyone else make the dive?

I did.
Same here.
Pff!
The game looks great but how can you manage the orders? It seems like a very steep learning curve to play this game!

How did you guys managed your first turn?

Walt
(04-09-2014, 03:03 PM)walter Wrote: Pff!
The game looks great but how can you manage the orders? It seems like a very steep learning curve to play this game!

Walt

I had help, but even still, I messed a few things up. I'm in it, though, Walter.
I'm also going to get in. I'm awaiting answers to a few questions and then will probably make my civ choice tomorrow. I believe the turns are due Friday, if so, I may miss this Friday's deadline, but I'm a go.
(04-09-2014, 05:36 PM)GrimFinger Wrote:
(04-09-2014, 03:03 PM)walter Wrote: Pff!

Walt

I had help, but even still, I messed a few things up. I'm in it, though, Walter.

The original game does have a bit of a learning curve to it, especially the first couple of turns while you are getting used to the web based turn sheet. The original input program is actuallt much better but it was made for older OS and doesn't play well with the newer OS. If you have a 32 bit OS, we can send you the old program. If not, We are ready and able to help via e-mail.

One of the important issues to get straight early on is trade action sequence. If you mess up on the trades, your trade or merchant ships will end up with goods to sell and nowhere to sell them. Before you do any trade runs in the original game, give me a shout and I will walk you through it. Some of the old Threshold magazine articles address the trade action sequence as well, so you might want to dive into those in your spare time. :-)
I tried to name some ship types, but apparently, there is a short character length limit for such things. It short of lets the air out of the old enthusiasm balloon. I don't see much of a point of bothering with that, going forward. Or, am I missing something, regarding that?
(04-10-2014, 05:41 AM)GrimFinger Wrote: I tried to name some ship types, but apparently, there is a short character length limit for such things. It short of lets the air out of the old enthusiasm balloon. I don't see much of a point of bothering with that, going forward. Or, am I missing something, regarding that?

I recall that there is a limit. I think that it is eight characters total, including special numbers. For example, you could name a single ship "Repulser" or you could build a set of five in one action, name them "Repulse" and put a 1 in the special number slot. The shipyard would then build the five ships and name them "Repulse1", "Repulse2", etc.

I asked Thom to look into whether that was a program limitation. If he is able to adjust it, I will have him increase the size of the field. The naming fields i n the new game will not have these kind of limits.