Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Once upon a time ago
I went ahead and renewed the domain name for this website for another year, last night. So, whatever the site's future may ultimately turn out to be, at least that small detail is already taken care of.

The last few months, I have posted very little here. I have my reasons for that, but it has not been due to a loss of interest in the play by mail genre of gaming. Suffice it to say that I have conducted an experiment, to see how the site fares, if I leave it to others to keep the PBM dialogue flowing. So, how is that working out for each of you?

For myself, the results are mixed.

On the one hand, not posting tends to allow me more time to pursue other interests - PBM related and otherwise.

On the other hand, I find myself debating the wisdom in allowing the site to drift casually along, largely bereft of my presence. Is the site better off in my absence than with my presence? Or does it even make a notable difference, at all?

My conclusion is that, in some ways, it makes no difference, at all. In other ways, it seems to make at least some noticeable difference. But, that much could be said equally for just about everyone, I reckon.

Once upon a time ago, I sought to post on this site with recurring regularity, in an attempt to give others something to read that was PBM-related, if they just happened across the site, or if they were deliberate in being a repeat visitor.

Once upon a time ago, I visited other PBM-related websites, in order to provide a mini-roundup of PBM-related news and occurrences, something that was designed and intended to spark interest on the part of others in a PBM realm that was, perhaps, broader than their immediate area of focus.

Once upon a time ago, I sought to nurture a core audience of true believers in play by mail gaming. To me, it seemed to begin to bear at least some positive fruit for the hobby of play by mail.

Welcome to the past.

For myself, at least, as I head into the future, I will probably resume at least some of my prior focus, even as I will likely focus more attention on other aspects of potential development.

I am well aware, as I ever am, that not everyone always shares my opinion on subjects that I discuss, be it on things PBM-related or otherwise. As always, the easiest and best solution for those who can't stomach what I post is to simply bypass my own extrapolations of opinion, and either post opinions of your own, or focus, instead, upon the opinions of others. I have no expectation that others will necessarily agree with what I have to say on a given subject, nor do I really desire that others necessarily agree with any - or even all - of what I say on matters play by mail related. In any event, as long as the site remains open, diversity of thought and opinion will hopefully populate the site.

In coming months, I will try to post more, even as I will likely interact less. At worst, it will fail. At best, it will succeed. Maybe we will enjoy a little of both.

And that's fine by me.
The last few months, I have posted very little here. I have my reasons for that, but it has not been due to a loss of interest in the play by mail genre of gaming. Suffice it to say that I have conducted an experiment, to see how the site fares, if I leave it to others to keep the PBM dialogue flowing. So, how is that working out for each of you?

Good to hear from you Grimfinger,

I check in regularly to see what's new on the site and yes, to see if Grim has posted anything. Not because I agree with everything you say but because you gave birth to the site and by sheer persistence gathered up the remnants of the pbm community and gave them a home. Not everyone has found it and not everyone of those that are left care to find it, but those of us that have, have found our Shangri-La. Maybe the last twinkle of a fading star that just quite won't die.

Concerning your absence and the success and/or failure of this site, it seems to me that, and I could be wrong here as I know little about how these things work, as long as you are the only person able to update 'PBM Hivemind', 'General PBM Resources', and 'PBM Companies', the site can only suffer from your prolonged absences. I realize the chaos that could occur if eveyone could update those areas at will, but some solution should be reached to allow new games, game companies and resources to be posted. Without that, even overtime the last twinkle may die.

nazareth
(07-24-2011, 12:00 PM)nazareth Wrote: The last few months, I have posted very little here. I have my reasons for that, but it has not been due to a loss of interest in the play by mail genre of gaming. Suffice it to say that I have conducted an experiment, to see how the site fares, if I leave it to others to keep the PBM dialogue flowing. So, how is that working out for each of you?

Good to hear from you Grimfinger,

I check in regularly to see what's new on the site and yes, to see if Grim has posted anything. Not because I agree with everything you say but because you gave birth to the site and by sheer persistence gathered up the remnants of the pbm community and gave them a home. Not everyone has found it and not everyone of those that are left care to find it, but those of us that have, have found our Shangri-La. Maybe the last twinkle of a fading star that just quite won't die.

Concerning your absence and the success and/or failure of this site, it seems to me that, and I could be wrong here as I know little about how these things work, as long as you are the only person able to update 'PBM Hivemind', 'General PBM Resources', and 'PBM Companies', the site can only suffer from your prolonged absences. I realize the chaos that could occur if eveyone could update those areas at will, but some solution should be reached to allow new games, game companies and resources to be posted. Without that, even overtime the last twinkle may die.

nazareth

I'm a new member, also a recent convert to PBEM (after many more years board wargaming) so it's a little disheartening to learn that I've joined a dying twinkle! I'm sure that this genre has plenty of life in it, particularly as the presumed competitors (social networking sites, FB, 2nd life etc) seem to have peaked. As for the importance of a webmaster, sorry Grimfinger, but I think your contribution's vital -- both for the mechanics of operating the site, and also to give it a soul. Thanks for your efforts.
(07-24-2011, 12:00 PM)nazareth Wrote: Good to hear from you Grimfinger,

Hi, Nazareth! Nice to hear from you, again. I think that I sent an e-mail to you a while back. I never got a response, though. It had to do with a lst of PBM companies that you sent to me (unless I am remembering the wrong person).

(07-24-2011, 12:00 PM)nazareth Wrote: I check in regularly to see what's new on the site and yes, to see if Grim has posted anything. Not because I agree with everything you say but because you gave birth to the site and by sheer persistence gathered up the remnants of the pbm community and gave them a home. Not everyone has found it and not everyone of those that are left care to find it, but those of us that have, have found our Shangri-La. Maybe the last twinkle of a fading star that just quite won't die.

Twinkle, twinkle, little star.

(07-24-2011, 12:00 PM)nazareth Wrote: Concerning your absence and the success and/or failure of this site, it seems to me that, and I could be wrong here as I know little about how these things work, as long as you are the only person able to update 'PBM Hivemind', 'General PBM Resources', and 'PBM Companies', the site can only suffer from your prolonged absences. I realize the chaos that could occur if eveyone could update those areas at will, but some solution should be reached to allow new games, game companies and resources to be posted. Without that, even overtime the last twinkle may die.

nazareth

Oh, I already felt that the site would suffer from a prolonged absence on my part. But, such is life.

I can certainly extend access to others to do most everything that needs updating. Content-wise, though, there doesn't seem to have been much posted by others, over the course of my somewhat-extended absence.

I'll upgrade your access level momentarily.
(08-04-2011, 11:48 AM)That Rabbits Dynamite! Wrote: I'm a new member, also a recent convert to PBEM (after many more years board wargaming) so it's a little disheartening to learn that I've joined a dying twinkle! I'm sure that this genre has plenty of life in it, particularly as the presumed competitors (social networking sites, FB, 2nd life etc) seem to have peaked. As for the importance of a webmaster, sorry Grimfinger, but I think your contribution's vital -- both for the mechanics of operating the site, and also to give it a soul. Thanks for your efforts.

It is questionable whether the site was ever alive, but it did have a few spurts of life, from time to time, I think.

Regardless, we're moving forward again. I think that our best days are ahead of us.

Stay tuned, and check back often.

Grim, as a new guy here, I'm loving your posts. And as I begin making forays into PBM's current offerings, I shall post my exploits here, as well as any memories from the past that seem pertinent.