Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Discussion About The Game (TAKAMO)
Well,
how did you map the Galaxy of Takamo in the old days?
I have no clue how to build, write, draw it right now. Blush

Just send in my orders a few hours after my setup!

Enough reading to do this weekend, but a few clues in mapping would be nice!

Walt, newbie in this game but old timer according to my daughter..
(04-11-2014, 08:31 PM)walter Wrote: Well,
I have no clue how to build, write, draw it right now. Blush

Just send in my orders a few hours after my setup!

Enough reading to do this weekend, but a few clues in mapping would be nice!

Walt, newbie in this game but old timer according to my daughter..

Best way is to get a tablet of graph paper. You can label the sectors A-Z across the top (X coordinate) and A-Z down the side (Y coordinate). Then each sheet is the layer (Z Coordinate) so to speak of which you'll have 26 sheets. Then if you keep them in tablet form you can find distances simply by paging up or down or referencing on the same plain. As for subsectors in each sector you can use any paper to make notes on planets, stars, etc.
(04-11-2014, 08:31 PM)walter Wrote: Well,

We pawned the crown jewels and outfitted - wait; whoops, wrong movie.
Tongue

(04-11-2014, 09:53 PM)Takamo44 Wrote: Best way is to get a tablet of graph paper. You can label the sectors A-Z across the top (X coordinate) and A-Z down the side (Y coordinate). Then each sheet is the layer (Z Coordinate) so to speak of which you'll have 26 sheets. Then if you keep them in tablet form you can find distances simply by paging up or down or referencing on the same plain. As for subsectors in each sector you can use any paper to make notes on planets, stars, etc.

That actually works fairly well. Some folks use an Excel spreadsheet to do the same thing.
(04-11-2014, 12:58 AM)Nazareth Wrote: 20 characters is good to know. rules state 7, gives example using 8, so this is certainly different from the rules version you have posted. Not sure what else is different, but I have noticed a couple things in the civ descriptions that were different or not as clear as the descriptions in the body of the rules. I have only read through the first 20 pages of the rules however. Should we discover a few more of these conflicts as we move on, maybe we can track them and issue an addendum for the benefit of players that follow us.

Ready to make a civ choice this weekend. I'm really struggling with the decision............

BTW, will there be any playtesting of the MMO version or will that all be done in-house?

I have tried in the game to name something more than 7 letters and it only took 7 in the current format
I have noticed that there are several action codes not listed in the rules, such as AC5 'move platform', AC6 'terraform' and AC10 'install trade center' plus a few others. Have I missed something?

Those action codes that are specific to player types or at higher tec levels were placed in the setup printouts or tec level increase printouts that players receive during game play.
[/quote]

Yea, my bad. Noticed that on my second reading. The above applies to Nomads and ICB's and thus not 'common'. Should have read more carefully. thx for the reply.
I have tried in the game to name something more than 7 letters and it only took 7 in the current format
[/quote]

Rules state 7, but as I said the example they give is 8. "Name your ships, using a five-letter name followed by a three-digit number." So if you were able to give it a 7 letter name, then I'm guessing we will still be able to provide up to a 3 digit number!?
Walter, what I have used in the past for this type of mapping is the graph paper that was suggested and place it in a clear mylar sheet. Then you can overlay the 3 subsections (3 sheets) together to form or package the sector. You can also map the sectors on graph paper so you can keep their spatial positions relative to each other. You can use erasable markers to mark on your sheets to help identify items of interest or track those nasty borgs. Of course, you only need to do this for the area you are in, unless you are a glutton for punishment or find yourself in a hyperspace rift! -)
(04-11-2014, 07:30 AM)walter Wrote: Alright,
I will try the game. Any mentors available? I like space opera but the orders seem like a tough cookie!

Big Grin

I am willing to be a mentor. I played the game back when it was play by snail mail in the '80s...
(04-12-2014, 01:15 AM)Tregonsee Wrote: I am willing to be a mentor. I played the game back when it was play by snail mail in the '80s...

Oh, good, another 'in-game old fart'. Yay!
Big Grin

I get the feeling we could use some ag corps...
(04-11-2014, 06:49 PM)GrimFinger Wrote: I wasn't sure if this was turn # 2 or turn # 3 or what. I tried submitting both using that turn input thing.

Between now and the next couple of turns, if time allows, I will try to convert the rulebook into something that I can actually use. In its present form, it's a time sink.

I found a copy of the rule book in notepad form if that will help you

(04-11-2014, 08:10 PM)Nazareth Wrote: Finished reading through the rules and I find them fairly decent. Order formatting is good I think. I have a couple questions because, for me, a couple of the rules are not quite as specific as they should be. It would be helpful if each action code example actually provides you with a second example with the order filled out. Also, the 'Action Code Index' should precede the list of action codes I think. This might help players who might be confused on exactly what you want in any particular box. As you say, once you fill out a few turns you will become familiar with many of the more common orders and sequencing.

To compile an addendum one needs to know what has changed. Not sure anyone on this side can answer that. I will begin reading the rules over a second time to see what one might think is confusing and worthy of more explanation. I have noticed that there are several action codes not listed in the rules, such as AC5 'move platform', AC6 'terraform' and AC10 'install trade center' plus a few others. Have I missed something? I have played games with far more detailed rules and I believe when all is said and done, the toughest thing one will deal with in this game is mapping. Back to attempting to decide my civ, sigh.........

The action codes not listed in the rules are for certain player types only, or not until you have reached a certain tech level. This is listed by the '+' on the action code list in the same column as the M codes (move + action)

(04-11-2014, 08:16 PM)Trader_Phred Wrote: Hi, everyone. Sounds like a couple of folks are having a few issues. I'm not "officially" anything much in the game, except for being someone who played 'classic' Takamo in the mid-80s to 90's; but I can help out with answering questions and what-have-you.

Ghod, it always scares me to become an old-timer - lol.
Wink

What was your race name back then?

(04-12-2014, 01:19 AM)Trader_Phred Wrote:
(04-12-2014, 01:15 AM)Tregonsee Wrote: I am willing to be a mentor. I played the game back when it was play by snail mail in the '80s...

Oh, good, another 'in-game old fart'. Yay!
Big Grin

I get the feeling we could use some ag corps...

I agree, and / or a trade corps. I wish I knew how to contact Varlon Enterprises...