Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Discussion About The Game (TAKAMO)
LOL!

Old school PBM Bashing on a forum!

I might contact you later this week by private mail, just some questions about the game.

Very friendly GM by the way!
(04-11-2014, 12:58 AM)Nazareth Wrote: 20 characters is good to know. rules state 7, gives example using 8, so this is certainly different from the rules version you have posted. Not sure what else is different, but I have noticed a couple things in the civ descriptions that were different or not as clear as the descriptions in the body of the rules. I have only read through the first 20 pages of the rules however. Should we discover a few more of these conflicts as we move on, maybe we can track them and issue an addendum for the benefit of players that follow us.

I'll have to issue a correction to the character limit on ship names. It's still limited to 8 characters total including numbers for multiple ships built in the same action. So the rules are correct. Sorry about the misinformation earlier. The code was changed at some point to allow longer names but it still only stores 8 characters even though you can give the ship a longer name when you build it. Apparently the person who changed the code did not realize the data base was only set to save 8 characters. -Thom

First let me introduce myself. My name is Thom. Randy asked me to join the forum to help players get started or answer questions. I'm currently on the development team and was the last person to work on the old game code. Still do for that matter as many of the new games features will be taken directly from the old game, at least functionally. Also played the game since it's inception way back when and also when it changed to a PBEM game. Also playing now. So any questions on how to set up the turns or help with getting started let me know and I'll try and get to them as soon as I can. Rule of caution: Do not post location or other sensitive information here. I assume you're all experienced PBM players so probably not necessary to state that but just in case. The game is rather easy to play after you get a few turns under your belt. So to that effect I'll put together an example starting turn and some early action codes you can use. Really everyone's first turn is pretty similar despite civilization type. Try to post that later today. Also instructions on how to use the input program for doing your turns as well.
From my perspective as someone who is new to this game (the original Takamo run anew, electronically), it is a dreadfully time-consuming proposition to try and figure out how to issue a set of simple orders. The fact that I managed to do it last week (albeit, with help), makes it no less time-consuming this time around. I am trying to send in a set of orders for today's processing schedule, before I go to work for the day, and it is proving to be a problematic undertaking.

The complexity of the rules isn't the problem. Rather, it lies in how the information is presented. Trying to do it, while simultaneously familiarizing myself with Ubuntu, doesn't help matters any.
I've spent about two hours, today, trying to figure out what orders to issue, and how to issue them. What a mess!

The end result is that this next turn will be the equivalent of a missed turn, for me. This doesn't build on the initial enthusiasm. In fact, it rips giant chunks out of it.

Hopefully, at least one of my orders will go through, so that the turn doesn't become a total loss, only a near-total loss.

There's simply no more free time left to try and figure the order system out, prior to heading off to work. Hopefully, others will fare better.
(04-11-2014, 06:36 PM)GrimFinger Wrote: I've spent about two hours, today, trying to figure out what orders to issue, and how to issue them. What a mess!

The end result is that this next turn will be the equivalent of a missed turn, for me. This doesn't build on the initial enthusiasm. In fact, it rips giant chunks out of it.

Hopefully, at least one of my orders will go through, so that the turn doesn't become a total loss, only a near-total loss.

There's simply no more free time left to try and figure the order system out, prior to heading off to work. Hopefully, others will fare better.

Give Thom or me a shout. We'd be glad to help.
I wasn't sure if this was turn # 2 or turn # 3 or what. I tried submitting both using that turn input thing.

Between now and the next couple of turns, if time allows, I will try to convert the rulebook into something that I can actually use. In its present form, it's a time sink.
(04-11-2014, 06:36 PM)GrimFinger Wrote: I've spent about two hours, today, trying to figure out what orders to issue, and how to issue them. What a mess!

Sorry I couldn't get to you sooner today. I'm working on getting some help for everyone starting out.
Finished reading through the rules and I find them fairly decent. Order formatting is good I think. I have a couple questions because, for me, a couple of the rules are not quite as specific as they should be. It would be helpful if each action code example actually provides you with a second example with the order filled out. Also, the 'Action Code Index' should precede the list of action codes I think. This might help players who might be confused on exactly what you want in any particular box. As you say, once you fill out a few turns you will become familiar with many of the more common orders and sequencing.

To compile an addendum one needs to know what has changed. Not sure anyone on this side can answer that. I will begin reading the rules over a second time to see what one might think is confusing and worthy of more explanation. I have noticed that there are several action codes not listed in the rules, such as AC5 'move platform', AC6 'terraform' and AC10 'install trade center' plus a few others. Have I missed something? I have played games with far more detailed rules and I believe when all is said and done, the toughest thing one will deal with in this game is mapping. Back to attempting to decide my civ, sigh.........
Hi, everyone. Sounds like a couple of folks are having a few issues. I'm not "officially" anything much in the game, except for being someone who played 'classic' Takamo in the mid-80s to 90's; but I can help out with answering questions and what-have-you.

Ghod, it always scares me to become an old-timer - lol.
Wink
(04-11-2014, 08:10 PM)Nazareth Wrote: Finished reading through the rules and I find them fairly decent. Order formatting is good I think. I have a couple questions because, for me, a couple of the rules are not quite as specific as they should be. It would be helpful if each action code example actually provides you with a second example with the order filled out. Also, the 'Action Code Index' should precede the list of action codes I think. This might help players who might be confused on exactly what you want in any particular box. As you say, once you fill out a few turns you will become familiar with many of the more common orders and sequencing.

To compile an addendum one needs to know what has changed. Not sure anyone on this side can answer that. I will begin reading the rules over a second time to see what one might think is confusing and worthy of more explanation. I have noticed that there are several action codes not listed in the rules, such as AC5 'move platform', AC6 'terraform' and AC10 'install trade center' plus a few others. Have I missed something? I have played games with far more detailed rules and I believe when all is said and done, the toughest thing one will deal with in this game is mapping. Back to attempting to decide my civ, sigh.........

Those action codes that are specific to player types or at higher tec levels were placed in the setup printouts or tec level increase printouts that players receive during game play.