Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Discussion About The Game (TAKAMO)
(04-10-2014, 12:22 PM)Takamo Wrote: I asked Thom to look into whether that was a program limitation. If he is able to adjust it, I will have him increase the size of the field. The naming fields i n the new game will not have these kind of limits.

Well, I know that it's the original version, and that you guys aren't really intending to update that particular software. I'm not looking to have you guys divert time or resources to fixing or changing anything with the original version's code. The name for ship types was simply intended to be a colorful way of interacting within the game.

When it lists ships owned, it doesn't really seem to display them as I was thinking that it would. It's all still quite new to me, though.

On a separate but related note, I'm currently fiddling around with three different PBM style space games. It is interesting, from a personal perspective, what about each one generates enthusiasm within me, as a player, as well as what deflates that enthusiasm.

The new version of Takamo that is in the works, Takamo Universe, looks interesting
(04-10-2014, 01:44 PM)GrimFinger Wrote:
(04-10-2014, 12:22 PM)Takamo Wrote: I asked Thom to look into whether that was a program limitation. If he is able to adjust it, I will have him increase the size of the field. The naming fields i n the new game will not have these kind of limits.

Well, I know that it's the original version, and that you guys aren't really intending to update that particular software. I'm not looking to have you guys divert time or resources to fixing or changing anything with the original version's code. The name for ship types was simply intended to be a colorful way of interacting within the game.

When it lists ships owned, it doesn't really seem to display them as I was thinking that it would. It's all still quite new to me, though.

On a separate but related note, I'm currently fiddling around with three different PBM style space games. It is interesting, from a personal perspective, what about each one generates enthusiasm within me, as a player, as well as what deflates that enthusiasm.

The new version of Takamo that is in the works, Takamo Universe, looks interesting

There are specific action codes for detailed fleet and ship readouts. Try them out. I think that they will do what you want.
Checked on the name length limitation for ships. It is 20 characters, including spaces, etc. The numbering in the special number slot counts so, you can have a ship name with 19 characters and a number assigned by the shipyard. Or 18 characters and a twodigit numbr assigned by the shipyard.

For example, I build five ships named "reallybiglongname" with a 1 in the special number slot. The shipyard would name the ships "reallybiglongname1", "reallybiglongname2", etc.
20 characters is good to know. rules state 7, gives example using 8, so this is certainly different from the rules version you have posted. Not sure what else is different, but I have noticed a couple things in the civ descriptions that were different or not as clear as the descriptions in the body of the rules. I have only read through the first 20 pages of the rules however. Should we discover a few more of these conflicts as we move on, maybe we can track them and issue an addendum for the benefit of players that follow us.

Ready to make a civ choice this weekend. I'm really struggling with the decision............

BTW, will there be any playtesting of the MMO version or will that all be done in-house?
(04-10-2014, 04:09 AM)Takamo Wrote:
(04-09-2014, 05:36 PM)GrimFinger Wrote:
(04-09-2014, 03:03 PM)walter Wrote: Pff!
The game looks great but how can you manage the orders? It seems like a very steep learning curve to play this game!

How did you guys managed your first turn?

Walt

I had help, but even still, I messed a few things up. I'm in it, though, Walter.

The original game does have a bit of a learning curve to it, especially the first couple of turns while you are getting used to the web based turn sheet. The original input program is actuallt much better but it was made for older OS and doesn't play well with the newer OS. If you have a 32 bit OS, we can send you the old program. If not, We are ready and able to help via e-mail.

One of the important issues to get straight early on is trade action sequence. If you mess up on the trades, your trade or merchant ships will end up with goods to sell and nowhere to sell them. Before you do any trade runs in the original game, give me a shout and I will walk you through it. Some of the old Threshold magazine articles address the trade action sequence as well, so you might want to dive into those in your spare time. :-)

during a chat with Thom, he recommended using OPERA as browser as well
Thom checked the code and it appears that some time back the code was altered to allow longer character strings for ship names.

As Charles said earlier, we are utilizing most of our programming resources to build the new game so updates to the original Takamo code will be limited. An addendum project would be most welcome! Any volunteers?

As for your choice of player types, Independent Civilization Builders and Nomads are the powerhouses in the game. The other player types take a bit more thoughtful (ruthless?) play to make them work. Cybers are for the hack and slash player...

(04-11-2014, 01:05 AM)WitCo-I Federation Wrote:
(04-10-2014, 04:09 AM)Takamo Wrote:
(04-09-2014, 05:36 PM)GrimFinger Wrote:
(04-09-2014, 03:03 PM)walter Wrote: Pff!
The game looks great but how can you manage the orders? It seems like a very steep learning curve to play this game!

How did you guys managed your first turn?

Walt

I had help, but even still, I messed a few things up. I'm in it, though, Walter.

The original game does have a bit of a learning curve to it, especially the first couple of turns while you are getting used to the web based turn sheet. The original input program is actuallt much better but it was made for older OS and doesn't play well with the newer OS. If you have a 32 bit OS, we can send you the old program. If not, We are ready and able to help via e-mail.

One of the important issues to get straight early on is trade action sequence. If you mess up on the trades, your trade or merchant ships will end up with goods to sell and nowhere to sell them. Before you do any trade runs in the original game, give me a shout and I will walk you through it. Some of the old Threshold magazine articles address the trade action sequence as well, so you might want to dive into those in your spare time. :-)

during a chat with Thom, he recommended using OPERA as browser as well

Yes, forgot to mention that. Thanks!

(04-11-2014, 12:58 AM)Nazareth Wrote: 20 characters is good to know. rules state 7, gives example using 8, so this is certainly different from the rules version you have posted. Not sure what else is different, but I have noticed a couple things in the civ descriptions that were different or not as clear as the descriptions in the body of the rules. I have only read through the first 20 pages of the rules however. Should we discover a few more of these conflicts as we move on, maybe we can track them and issue an addendum for the benefit of players that follow us.

Ready to make a civ choice this weekend. I'm really struggling with the decision............

BTW, will there be any playtesting of the MMO version or will that all be done in-house?

Yes, there will be playtesting of the Beta early next year. Original game players will be among the first in line for playtest opportunities.

Players who help us with addendum issues, error finding, etc., in the original game would be very welcome. We would be happy to credit them for helping by placing their name in the credits for the original Takamo.
Alright,
I will try the game. Any mentors available? I like space opera but the orders seem like a tough cookie!

Big Grin
(04-11-2014, 07:30 AM)walter Wrote: Alright,
I will try the game. Any mentors available? I like space opera but the orders seem like a tough cookie!

Big Grin

Hurry up and learn the rules, Walter. I may need you to be my mentor.
I can be your mentor! Send your warships as soon as possible away from your home planets.
After that please share me the details where your home planet is located!

My mentors will arrive as soon as possible!

Big Grin
(04-11-2014, 12:53 PM)walter Wrote: I can be your mentor! Send your warships as soon as possible away from your home planets.
After that please share me the details where your home planet is located!

My mentors will arrive as soon as possible!

Big Grin

That will make a fitting epitaph for your species, Walter.