Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Episodic Strategy Games or "PBM"?
Hi Bob. Something, you must admit, attracts you to "Episodic", since the last time I heard from you was about 10 years ago, that being the last effort to unify the hobby under a banner. Your antenna seems to go up when you hear "Episodic". Hmmm. Anyway, I hope you bring your passion back to help in what way you might, and I will be looking for your game named, "Shit from Shinola". Yes, that name is likely available, and your success will prove the name of a game or hobby doesn't mean anything. Everyone will be seeking out shit from shinola, based on the strength of your design, and the shit hobby, joined by the growing Shinola faction, following it. Yes, completely meaningless stuff, the name of things.

The thread started pointing out that a search for "PBM" comes up with nothing about our hobby. The search for "Episodic Strategy Games" is all about, well, Episodic Strategy Games. Then the editor suggested, if you put "PBM Games" in the search, you do much better. So someone 25 years old, that doesn't know what "Episodic" means, and would be terrified to learn about it, will not be afraid to learn that "PBM" is, "play by mail. Something old guys did 30 years ago before there was the internet."

Where is my PBM blankie? I want my blankie! Bad man, Momma - bad man!

Once more into the breach, dear friends. This isn't about who can out wordsmith, or put up straw men, or words in another's mouth, though some find that entertaining. It is about getting beyond, "Yes, I know what PBM means!" What about the rest of the world population minus a couple thousand? Is "PBM" the harbinger of growth?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Episodic Strategy Games or "PBM"? - by Rick McDowell - 08-24-2014, 05:29 AM