PlayByMail Forums
Episodic Strategy Games or "PBM"? - Printable Version

+- PlayByMail Forums (https://forums.playbymail.dev)
+-- Forum: PlayByMail.Net (https://forums.playbymail.dev/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+--- Forum: News & Announcements (https://forums.playbymail.dev/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Episodic Strategy Games or "PBM"? (/showthread.php?tid=869)

Pages: 1 2 3

Episodic Strategy Games or "PBM"? - Rick McDowell - 08-09-2014

Just Googled today both "PBM" and "Episodic Strategy Games".

Seems like we have discussed this before, to the point of what term would help grow the hobby. Readers are encouraged to Google both terms and see if you then believe Episodic Strategy Games may be better than PBM.

RE: Episodic Strategy Games or "PBM"? - GrimFinger - 08-09-2014

Well, it's certainly much quicker to type PBM than to type Episodic Strategy Games. PBM has three letters, and Episodic Strategy Games has twenty-one, and that's not counting the spaces between the three words that comprise the latter.

Plus, on my Google search results, I see that a posting that I made to the PlayByMail.Net Google+ page stands out quite visibly, over on the right hand side. On the first page of search results for Episodic Strategy Gaming, no comparable equivalent exists over on the right hand side. Visually, my eye is drawn to the right side, on that PBM search results page. It stands out to me.

In a span of less than two full days, an article from the Article Archives of Suspense & Decision magazine is in the 3rd slot on the first page of search results for the term PBM. That's pretty good, I think.

The Episodic Strategy Gaming search yields a first page of results, with all tend entries mentioning a game or something game related, ten out of ten slots.. The PBM search yields a first page of results, with two out of ten slots mentioning games or something game related. Of course, it's not quite as simple as it looks, because if you did an equivalent search for the term PBM Strategy Gaming, Google yields a first page of results with ten out of ten slots mentioning games or something game-related.

In SEO (search engine optimization) terms, you're comparing apples and oranges. Using a long tail phrase for search purposes will always yield more specific results. It's not exactly rocket science. If you do a search for ESG, an equivalent search length, as an abbreviation for Episodic Strategy Gaming, then Google yields a page with zero out of ten slots mentioning games or something game-related.

A search for PBM games yields ten out of ten slots referring to games or to something game-related. A search for PBM gaming yields ten out of ten slots referring to games or to something game-related.

Stacking the search deck, with the inclusion of the words strategy and games, does not mean that, therefore, the search phrase containing the word episodic is the better choice.

I have attached two screen shots to this message for site visitors to compare the two search terms that you suggested.

RE: Episodic Strategy Games or "PBM"? - GrimFinger - 08-09-2014

And, here we are less than twelve hours later, with another screen shot of the Google search results for the search term PBM.

Compare it to the screenshot attached the previous message, the one for the search term PBM. Now, I've managed to get another entry listed on page one of the search results for that particular search phrase, resulting in a different kind of PBM product/service getting pushed off of page one's search results and onto the top of page two's search results.

The PBM entry over on the right-hand side is automatically updating with whatever the most recent posting that I have made to the Google+ page for PlayByMail.Net. You don't have to take my word for it, though. Do a new search for yourself.

Everyone is free to draw their own lessons, whether from this particular discussion or on a broader level.

We can even include a recent brief exchange on the subject over on the Alamaze forum, if you like, so that anyone reading this thread can also have the benefit of that discussion, as well.

http://kingdomsofarcania.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=9151

If you refer back to Issue # 2 of Suspense & Decision magazine, there were some fictional newspaper headlines on display. The first of them was the following one:

[Image: PlayByMail.Net-Newspaper-Headlines-1.png]

Fiction is still fiction, though, right?

Everyone can judge things for themselves. A Google web search for the term PBM now reveals that this invasion is establishing beachheads on page one of Google search results for the term (PBM) that you encouraged us all to Google and see for ourselves.

Also, it has not escaped my attention that for the search phrase Episodic Strategy Games, your own game, Fall of Rome, occupies the number one position on page one of search results for that particular search phrase. Perhaps you would care to reveal how many new players to Fall of Rome that you've had lately.

If having the top slot on page one of search results for the very term that you are advocating in favor of to replace PBM isn't getting you many new players, currently, then how successful do you think that you're likely to be to persuade others to embrace what you are advocating?

RE: Episodic Strategy Games or "PBM"? - Rick McDowell - 08-10-2014

Congrats on S&D getting SEO position for PBM. (I'm trying for an economy of letters.) It does take time and is unpredictable as to when the spiders find you. It is nice to see that in just a couple days, "we" now have 2 of the top 4 spots where there were none when I posted.

When I brought Alamaze back last year, it took months for us to get page 1 in Google, but we've beaten out some singer named Tori Alamaze, so we have pretty much the whole page 1 now (one listing I believe from this site).

We all know that "PBM" is going to work perfectly for those people that grew up when games were played by postal service (and for those companies that still do so today, as I was reprimanded about last month), such as circa 1987. My calendar says it is now 2014. Things like the internet were introduced between then and now. I get my property tax statement from local government via the post office, and, well, that's about it for anything via the post office, and I like it that way.

HOWEVER, people that didn't grow up on PBM are not going to go searching for "PBM" to find an episodic strategy game. Oh, maybe I cheated a little there. Cool And yes, if only me and the mouse in my pocket talk about Episodic Strategy Games, its not going to do any better than "PBM". But that Google search shows that at least a few companies have picked up on it.

Come on, its not about how many letters are in the phrase, its about what draws attention and new players to the hobby. I don't think "episodic" is as daunting a word as you might believe. Is there a better word than episodic to describe how all events are revealed simultaneously after a period of days once the actors have recited their lines (issued their orders)? Once that word is understood, the phrase describes pretty well how these games are different from any other type. Why would we want to call it "PBM" when play by mail is erroneous in fact and dated as far as most current players are concerned. Who is inspired by "play by mail"? Go get some stamps and envelopes, and a pencil - oh yeah!

RE: Episodic Strategy Games or "PBM"? - GrimFinger - 08-10-2014

(08-10-2014, 12:38 AM)Rick McDowell Wrote: Congrats on S&D getting SEO position for PBM. (I'm trying for an economy of letters.) It does take time and is unpredictable as to when the spiders find you. It is nice to see that in just a couple days, "we" now have 2 of the top 4 spots where there were none when I posted.

When I brought Alamaze back last year, it took months for us to get page 1 in Google, but we've beaten out some singer named Tori Alamaze, so we have pretty much the whole page 1 now (one listing I believe from this site).

We all know that "PBM" is going to work perfectly for those people that grew up when games were played by postal service (and for those companies that still do so today, as I was reprimanded about last month), such as circa 1987. My calendar says it is now 2014. Things like the internet were introduced between then and now. I get my property tax statement from local government via the post office, and, well, that's about it for anything via the post office, and I like it that way.

HOWEVER, people that didn't grow up on PBM are not going to go searching for "PBM" to find an episodic strategy game. Oh, maybe I cheated a little there. Cool And yes, if only me and the mouse in my pocket talk about Episodic Strategy Games, its not going to do any better than "PBM". But that Google search shows that at least a few companies have picked up on it.

Come on, its not about how many letters are in the phrase, its about what draws attention and new players to the hobby. I don't think "episodic" is as daunting a word as you might believe. Is there a better word than episodic to describe how all events are revealed simultaneously after a period of days once the actors have recited their lines (issued their orders)? Once that word is understood, the phrase describes pretty well how these games are different from any other type. Why would we want to call it "PBM" when play by mail is erroneous in fact and dated as far as most current players are concerned. Who is inspired by "play by mail"? Go get some stamps and envelopes, and a pencil - oh yeah!

Well, at least our calendars are in agreement. There seems to be no dispute over what year it is. It is 2014.

And, you and I are having this discussion in the PlayByMail.Net forum.

You say that its not about how many letters are in the phrase, its about what draws attention and new players to the hobby. That's a fair statement, and one that I don't take issue with. But, that said, you have your perspective and I have mine - and many others have their respective perspectives, as well.

I understand your lament about PBM. I know that you were as much of a PBM advocate as anybody, back in the day. You designed a PBM game, after all. You just view PBM to be a dated concept, a dated approach. You want something new, something exciting, something to draw them in, as players.

You posed a question - Who is inspired by "play by mail?"

Well, I am, for one. PBM inspires me more - far more - than episodic strategy games does. It does so for a multitude of different reasons.

As I recall, you and I "met" online in a PBM Design Group on Yahoo!

I will be the very first to concede that someone who has never heard of PBM games wouldn't likely do a web search for the term PBM. But, that hardly makes them more likely to do a search for the term episodic.

Let's take a close look at a community of gamers who should know what episodic gaming is. It should run in their blood, since they play in your game and communicate in your forum -the Alamaze forum.

Currently, as I sit and write this posting, your forum's own statistics show that your forum members have have made a total of 13,286 posts in 889 threads, with 254 registered user accounts.

Now, out of those forum users in the midst of that center of episodic gaming, do you know how many of them have used the word episodic in their discussions, in the postings on view in the publicly accessible forum?

A grand, whopping total of just two.

Namely, you and I. My own use of that term in the Alamaze forum preceded your use there by a little more than two years. It's in the Fall of Rome portion of your forum.

In practical terms, none of your players are using that term. You are, but only sparingly. I used the term, initially, there, simply because I know that you like the term.

It's not that it's a bad term, per se, or that it is inaccurate. Rather, it's just a term that most people never use. I know that you would like to change that. By all means, go right ahead - convince the world of gamers to think in terms of episodic.

Tell me this, Rick, what draws attention and new players to the hobby?

For Fall of Rome, if memory serves me correctly, you did quite a bit of paid advertising. How did that turn out?

Alamaze has proven to be a far better vehicle for attracting players than Fall of Rome ever was.

I view PBM to be a better starting point to lay a foundation for growth on than I do episodic strategy games. You are free to hold a different point of view. By all means, grab the episodic strategy games ball and run with it.

I am quite comfortable discussing such subjects at length, and at entertaining comparisons of the two. It's not as though I haven't ever bothered to ponder and to consider at length the concept of episodic strategy games.

Beyond that, I enjoy such discussions. I like having them.

Personally, I don't think that this gaming hobby of ours requires or necessitates going forward with embracing one concept while shunning the other. I am quite comfortable opening yet another front in this war for gamers.

Such search terms are, when all is said and done, merely different means to a common and greater end.

Indeed, a few companies have picked up on episodic strategy games. But, for a category of web search, the search numbers are relatively small, as far as search terms go.

You, at least, communicate on the subject. Not everyone does.

If you want or need some help in trying to make progress along the episodic strategy games path, then I am willing to assist you in that undertaking. However, I will continue to plod the PBM path. I think that there's much gold to be mined there, yet.

But,t hat doesn't mean that I don't wish you well in your new quest for the gold of the Episodic El Dorado.

RE: Episodic Strategy Games or "PBM"? - Rick McDowell - 08-11-2014

Not so much about gold, as about oxygen for the hobby.

I doubt many advertisers in S&D want to share active customer emails with my company, so we all need new players as despite your earnest efforts and open attitude to about any approach, we all would like to see significant new entrants into episodic strategy gaming, or PBEM which may not be happening with a focus on PBM. Yes, I understand the sentimental value, and the connection potential with the older players that we have not yet connected with. Well, I guess that's about it on this subject, until someone else brings it up. Horse & Buggy, or Automobile? Flying Machine or Jet?

RE: Episodic Strategy Games or "PBM"? - BobMcLain - 08-21-2014

Rick and I and Steve Tierney (Madhouse) and a couple others had this discussion about rebranding "play by mail" as "episodic strategy games" about ten years ago. It got no traction then, and it has no traction now. For the relatively small number of people interested in play-by-mail games, the sense of being part of a community or a gaming genre that stretches back a ways trumps completely the appeal of an awkwardly worded "modern" alternative. I think Madhouse calls its PBM games "turn based gaming", which is not quite so bad and which has some connection with the much, much larger MMO turn-based strategy game industry. If I'm a newcomer, I can understand "turn-based" games; but "episodic strategy" - what's that, "turn-based"? Also, to the wider gaming community, "episode" means something very different from a turn:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Episodic_video_game

Way I look at it, if you design a great game that everyone wants to play, you can call it "shit from shinola based gaming", and people will send you money.

RE: Episodic Strategy Games or "PBM"? - GrimFinger - 08-22-2014

(08-11-2014, 02:52 AM)Rick McDowell Wrote: Not so much about gold, as about oxygen for the hobby.

No amount of colorful analogies constitute a viable substitute for effective advertising. You want "oxygen" for the hobby, then you won't get it by recirculating ads that don't work in the first place.

(08-11-2014, 02:52 AM)Rick McDowell Wrote: I doubt many advertisers in S&D want to share active customer emails with my company, so we all need new players as despite your earnest efforts and open attitude to about any approach, we all would like to see significant new entrants into episodic strategy gaming, or PBEM which may not be happening with a focus on PBM.

That's because these days, the old practice of sharing customer data, which actually helped promote and grow the PBM hobby and industry, is widely frowned upon these days.

(08-11-2014, 02:52 AM)Rick McDowell Wrote: Yes, I understand the sentimental value, and the connection potential with the older players that we have not yet connected with. Well, I guess that's about it on this subject, until someone else brings it up. Horse & Buggy, or Automobile? Flying Machine or Jet?

Again, more attempts at colorful word play, but your arguments are unpersuasive.

In all of the years that you've been arguing your case in that manner, your persuasiveness on the subject hasn't improved.

From my perspective, you argue in favor of a one-legged horse, one that can't walk and get anywhere, for the very simple reason that you can't find your horse a second leg to stand on.

Your own forum, one with thousands of postings by your players, is a desert, when it comes to the term episodic. Your own players don't discuss the game that you offer for play utilizing that term that you want to stake the fate of the future of the hobby on.

Since you like colorful word play a lot, here's one for you. Slapping a label on a bottle and calling it Episodic doesn't make it either more palatable in taste or a miracle cure. It is what it is - verbal snake oil.

Am I aware of other games - popular games - that are of recent vintage, and which make use of the term episodic in their advertising? I sure am. It's not as though I have done no exploring and research of my own.

You talk about nostalgia, when you're the one who is nostalgic for a return to the days of yesteryear, to a time when the hobby had a single, unifying term - namely, PBM.

The frank truth is - those days are over. The hobby doesn't have it quite so easy, anymore. The world moved on. Competition has increased exponentially. Hell, the hobby isn't competing against just other games - it's competing against entertainment at large. You're competing with Netflix, with Facebook, with all sorts of things that gobble people's time while entertaining them in countless different ways.

What you advocate for is an illusion. The term that you advocate for - the problem isn't so much an accuracy problem, as far as describing how such games work, as it is an acceptance issue. You've latched onto a word that is ugly and lacks popularity.

Your ugly duckling of a term isn't ever going to turn into a swan.

RE: Episodic Strategy Games or "PBM"? - GrimFinger - 08-22-2014

(08-21-2014, 02:19 PM)BobMcLain Wrote: Rick and I and Steve Tierney (Madhouse) and a couple others had this discussion about rebranding "play by mail" as "episodic strategy games" about ten years ago. It got no traction then, and it has no traction now. For the relatively small number of people interested in play-by-mail games, the sense of being part of a community or a gaming genre that stretches back a ways trumps completely the appeal of an awkwardly worded "modern" alternative. I think Madhouse calls its PBM games "turn based gaming", which is not quite so bad and which has some connection with the much, much larger MMO turn-based strategy game industry. If I'm a newcomer, I can understand "turn-based" games; but "episodic strategy" - what's that, "turn-based"? Also, to the wider gaming community, "episode" means something very different from a turn:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Episodic_video_game

Way I look at it, if you design a great game that everyone wants to play, you can call it "shit from shinola based gaming", and people will send you money.

Welcome back, Bob! Glad to have you join the discussion.

On that last statement, especially, you're absolutely right.

RE: Episodic Strategy Games or "PBM"? - Rick McDowell - 08-24-2014

Hi Bob. Something, you must admit, attracts you to "Episodic", since the last time I heard from you was about 10 years ago, that being the last effort to unify the hobby under a banner. Your antenna seems to go up when you hear "Episodic". Hmmm. Anyway, I hope you bring your passion back to help in what way you might, and I will be looking for your game named, "Shit from Shinola". Yes, that name is likely available, and your success will prove the name of a game or hobby doesn't mean anything. Everyone will be seeking out shit from shinola, based on the strength of your design, and the shit hobby, joined by the growing Shinola faction, following it. Yes, completely meaningless stuff, the name of things.

The thread started pointing out that a search for "PBM" comes up with nothing about our hobby. The search for "Episodic Strategy Games" is all about, well, Episodic Strategy Games. Then the editor suggested, if you put "PBM Games" in the search, you do much better. So someone 25 years old, that doesn't know what "Episodic" means, and would be terrified to learn about it, will not be afraid to learn that "PBM" is, "play by mail. Something old guys did 30 years ago before there was the internet."

Where is my PBM blankie? I want my blankie! Bad man, Momma - bad man!

Once more into the breach, dear friends. This isn't about who can out wordsmith, or put up straw men, or words in another's mouth, though some find that entertaining. It is about getting beyond, "Yes, I know what PBM means!" What about the rest of the world population minus a couple thousand? Is "PBM" the harbinger of growth?