Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue #20 - Suspense & Decision PBM magazine
(02-26-2021, 09:30 PM)Lugh Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 08:36 PM)Davin Wrote: I'd rather see something more structured, like the PDF is, even if it's only a dozen pages.

Fine.  Whoever has the articles, please give a copy to Davin so he can create his Holy PDFs before his head explodes!

Big Grin

Goodness, no! I don't even have the time available that Grim and Ixnay have had.
(02-26-2021, 09:35 PM)Lugh Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 08:45 PM)Davin Wrote: For another thing, one thing I like about S&D (from both a reader and game-runner point of view) is the advertising. Individual posts won't have any place for advertisements to go that talk about what's available and why anyone would want to play them.

Posts could have a hyperlink to the game company...

A hyperlink is not an advertisement. I think perhaps you missed my point here. Oh, you could post images with advertising information in them, but then readers would need a reason to pay attention to them. Advertising also has the "deadline" aspect to consider, for anyone that wants to put our new ads from time to time. And if they want to keep the same ad, why would they want to post the same thing over and over? At the very least, wouldn't readers get tired of it? And does social media complain about businesses advertising in their posts all the time?
(02-26-2021, 09:55 PM)Davin Wrote: I do? If someone comes up with something to say, I'd expect them to just want to post it on their favorite area (FB or elsewhere). Then they're done. They have no incentive to do anything else, to copy it anywhere, to give it to anyone else, or even to make it "pretty". It sounds like it simply stops there from lack of interest.

Someone has a conversation on a website which you refuse to visit and it bothers you that you cannot participate?  I do not understand this point...

(02-26-2021, 09:55 PM)Davin Wrote: And that just sounds like everyday posting, not a 'zine. How's that different from not having anything special at all?

As I understand 'zines they are a one way communication format.  Where is all the 'give and take' happening when the infrequent S&D issue goes out?

(02-26-2021, 09:55 PM)Davin Wrote: Who will be this "someone" you keep referring to?

Right now, Rinzai/Grim/Bernd have the articles. When they decide who shall receive and re-distribute the articles then we will know.

(02-26-2021, 09:55 PM)Davin Wrote: Are you talking about some centralized point of control that "has the articles" and handles everything for us? At best, who has time?

Davin, I am just spit-balling ideas here.  I am trying to get agreement on how to move past the gigantic PDF issues that rarely materialize because of the stupendous amount of work they require.  I do not possess a 10 point plan.  Sorry to disappoint you!
Davin, I personally hate ads that I am forced to watch/see. I rather see a hyperlink that gives me a choice on whether or not I click it.

P.S. I wish that Facebook had never been invented. I am no Zuckerberg fanboy. But Facebook is very good at connecting people with similar interests.
(02-26-2021, 10:43 PM)Lugh Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 09:55 PM)Davin Wrote: I do? If someone comes up with something to say, I'd expect them to just want to post it on their favorite area (FB or elsewhere). Then they're done. They have no incentive to do anything else, to copy it anywhere, to give it to anyone else, or even to make it "pretty". It sounds like it simply stops there from lack of interest.

Someone has a conversation on a website which you refuse to visit and it bothers you that you cannot participate?  I do not understand this point...

That's not what I was trying to get at here - I was just mentioning that people that make posts seem unlikely to want to cross-post it to many other places.

As for your question, it's not a matter of a conversation nor is it a matter of participating myself. I'm just saying that the world is not all in one place, reading everything that's written there, so people with interest are still going to miss getting the news. I'd rather have a better way to spread information to everyone that wants to hear about it so we catch everyone we can.
(02-26-2021, 10:43 PM)Lugh Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 09:55 PM)Davin Wrote: And that just sounds like everyday posting, not a 'zine. How's that different from not having anything special at all?

As I understand 'zines they are a one way communication format.  Where is all the 'give and take' happening when the infrequent S&D issue goes out?

Yes, 'zines are basically one-way. But they're a collection of everything that can be had at the time about a particular subject of interest. If people want to talk back and forth, that's what social media and forums are for. Each mechanism has it's own strengths and purposes. There is no single way to handle everything the same.
(02-26-2021, 10:43 PM)Lugh Wrote: Davin, I am just spit-balling ideas here.  I am trying to get agreement on how to move past the gigantic PDF issues that rarely materialize because of the stupendous amount of work they require.  I do not possess a 10 point plan.  Sorry to disappoint you!

Me, too. I'm trying to come up with some way to make things faster and easier (and probably smaller), and all these discussions help point out difficulties to overcome.
(02-26-2021, 10:50 PM)Lugh Wrote: Davin, I personally hate ads that I am forced to watch/see.  I rather see a hyperlink that gives me a choice on whether or not I click it. 

P.S. I wish that Facebook had never been invented.  I am no Zuckerberg fanboy.  But Facebook is very good at connecting people with similar interests.

Yep, but the traditional print-style advertising lets you turn the page on anything you're not interested in and keep reading.

FB is very good at what it does. My personal feeling is that I don't have time to participate on such things - they take too much personal time and attention away from living my life.
Facebook is an ok secondary publishing location, but ideally anything posted there should link back to a site that is on the open web without a requirement for a Facebook account. Anyone with a browser should be able to read PBM articles without any account. We want all articles to be indexed by Google and other search engine for findability. Putting them on Facebook as the primary location goes against all of these goals. A good portion of society has abandoned Facebook due to the toxicity of posters there, and others for privacy concerns. Personally, I dislike Facebook.
Raven Zachary in Portland, Oregon, USA. Currently playing: TribeNetSuperNova, KnightGuildMiddle-earthTakamo, and Wraith.
(02-27-2021, 12:46 AM)Rinzai Wrote: Facebook is an ok secondary publishing location, but ideally anything posted there should link back to a site that is on the open web without a requirement for a Facebook account. Anyone with a browser should be able to read PBM articles without any account. We want all articles to be indexed by Google and other search engine for findability. Putting them on Facebook as the primary location goes against all of these goals. A good portion of society has abandoned Facebook due to the toxicity of posters there, and others for privacy concerns. Personally, I dislike Facebook.

I absolutely agree with using Facebook (and other social media sites) as secondary publishing locations.