Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello world
(02-09-2021, 12:15 PM)Tasarran Wrote: It could allow for a certain level of not-really hidden information; you might know something that turned up in your turn results, but not have to be informed specifically.
In a regular PBM, you know there's a thing in that hex because the turn result told you. In a game like this, there could be information that you didn't know you had access to until you looked for it.
In other words; in a regular PBM, you have info that players have, and info that the server has. In this scenario, there could be server info, player info, and info that the player's computer has that they may or may not know... This is very interesting to me.

I don't know ... I can see that being used to behave something like a fog of war, but I think I'd at least restrict it to minor information. If a major situation developed that a player just didn't notice, I can see that causing some really hard feelings, regardless of how realistic or chaotic it might be.
(02-09-2021, 12:15 PM)Tasarran Wrote:
It could allow for a certain level of not-really hidden information; you might know something that turned up in your turn results, but not have to be informed specifically.
In a regular PBM, you know there's a thing in that hex because the turn result told you. In a game like this, there could be information that you didn't know you had access to until you looked for it.
In other words; in a regular PBM, you have info that players have, and info that the server has. In this scenario, there could be server info, player info, and info that the player's computer has that they may or may not know... This is very interesting to me.

Would this be an alternate way to view "total available information" in Glyph?  Imagine a Venn diagram with "server info", "player info", and "player computer info" as the three overlapping spheres?

Would a player be able to increase their player info by using simple queries on the "player computer info" to reward the more inquisitive players without over-whelming the more casual players with information overload?

Or am I completely "off the mark" here?
(02-10-2021, 10:05 AM)Lugh Wrote: Would this be an alternate way to view "total available information" in Glyph?  Imagine a Venn diagram with "server info", "player info", and "player computer info" as the three overlapping spheres?

Would a player be able to increase their player info by using simple queries on the "player computer info" to reward the more inquisitive players without over-whelming the more casual players with information overload?

Or am I completely "off the mark" here?

No, that's pretty much what I had in mind.
It's still a little vague in my head, but one thing I'm thinking about is some subtle graphical effect in a hex adjacent to where you've explored that, if you notice it, will give you clues about what is likely to be there. Signs that there might be caves in those hills over there, some special game might exist in that hex, a random twinkle here and there that can give away the presence of some magical item/herb/gem/resource...
(02-10-2021, 11:46 AM)Tasarran Wrote: No, that's pretty much what I had in mind.
It's still a little vague in my head, but one thing I'm thinking about is some subtle graphical effect in a hex adjacent to where you've explored that, if you notice it, will give you clues about what is likely to be there. Signs that there might be caves in those hills over there, some special game might exist in that hex, a random twinkle here and there that can give away the presence of some magical item/herb/gem/resource...

Maybe displaying the subtle graphical effects should be tied to successful skill rolls of those units exploring the nearby hex?  Another suggestion...be careful to consider color blind players.
(02-06-2021, 08:34 PM)Tasarran Wrote: And a bit about races...

I'm not going to make any illusions that many of these races have not been used in fantasy games many, many times before.
I've never been a fan of the games where they try to make every race an original; I do tend to like me some tropes... Big Grin
So, call me derivative, I won't deny it. :p

From what you have told us, Glyph sounds like it is on the "low" end of the derivative spectrum.  Nothing wrong with including some classic fantasy races, IMO.  Your big ideas are definitely NOT derivative!

(02-06-2021, 08:34 PM)Tasarran Wrote: Goblins - not sure if they need to be a race of their own... Idea - the Orc/Goblin race is really one race, sometimes you have an Orc, sometimes you have a Goblin. Perhaps the diet of an Orc/Goblin as they are raised determines what they grow up to be... Perhaps an Orc/Goblin baby, raised on mostly vegetables/fungi/bugs/etc grows up to be a Goblin. However that same baby raised on meat grows up to be an Orc... And perhaps if you raise an Orc child on something more exotic, you get an Ogre... (Maybe Dragon meat?)

This is highly original IMO.  What if, at a certain age, Goblins metamorphose into Orcs who, at a certain age, metamorphose into Ogres?

(02-06-2021, 08:34 PM)Tasarran Wrote: Bird-people - maybe just flying humanoids, what would be the disadvantage that would make up for flight?

Typically, those with flight are weaker or cannot wear heavy armor...

(02-06-2021, 08:34 PM)Tasarran Wrote: Bird-people - maybe just flying humanoids, what would be the disadvantage that would make up for flight?I do plan to have a number of 'minor races' that you will be able to enslave/encourage to join/hire... This would be the place for things that are intelligent enough to be troops in an army, but are not one of the 'major' playable races. Things like Trolls, for example.
Would be good to implement races whose way of life might make it hard to model mechanics for their obviously very different way of living/building, like some sort of living plant creatures. You just have some of them living over there doing what they do, and you can go get some of them to join your army, if you are able.
They'd basically be groups of indigenous people, 'barbarians' until you come along and teach them 'civilization'.

Very interesting.  Sounds like a lot of work, especially for game balance.