Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hatfields and McCoys
I've been working on various storylines for the Veil of Entropy module for Cohorts.  One of the storylines involves a basic hatred between two NPC factions.  Players can choose to help one side or the other in order to gain benefits from either faction.  Players can even try to play a warmonger role and try to play off both sides against each other for other random benefits.  And yes, attempting to reconcile the two warring factions is also an option, but it's a long arduous journey to pull that off.

In Veil of Entropy, two of the warring factions are based on Vampires and Werewolves.  Yes, it's been done a million times before but would it have been any different had I called them the Hatfields and McCoys or the Oilkins and Waterfolk?  Personally, I find comfort in immediately understanding that these afflicted species hate one another but other people seem to think this is just another worn out trope.

Other similar hatred can be found between the Auctioneers (slavers) and the Fair Trader's Union (merchants with morals) as well as Warmongers and Freedom Fighters.  Are these inter-factional wars any more interesting because they don't play up to the stereotypical hatreds that we are fed regularly in books and movies?  Personally, I don't think so.  They're based on motivations that we can understand and get behind, one way or another.  It's what you do with them and how they affect the overall story that makes them interesting (to me).

Why am I writing this?  Well, one of the people that have access to the game's backstory went off on me for being too predictable.  This seemed like as good a place as any to vent.
My wife enjoys watching that Twilight series on Netflix (amongst numerous other things that she likes to watch on it). Me? I just shake my head at it, and start talking about Blacula and Barnabas Collins, and how these Twilight guys aren't "real" vampires. The underlying concept of vampires versus werewolves, however, I have no real beef with. Twilight vampires move like the Flash, a character from D.C. Comics. Honestly, Twilight has a HUGE following, so clearly, they're doing something right with that series. I have enjoyed the Blade series of vampire movies more, the ones with Wesley Snipes in them. Twilight seems to focus on making its characters love interests too much or my personal taste.

But that's just it - personal taste varies widely. It's up to you to craft and to refine and to present your take on a Vampires versus Werewolves, aka Hatfields versus McCoys type of deal.

Just take the concept, and own it. Make it your own, something somewhat unique, and it will work fine, I think. Plus, vampires and werewolves are only two of the warring factions on Veil of Entropy. In Twilight, they're only two of the factions, also, but again, you are free to go your own way on the underlying concept.
I had to look up who Barnabas Collins was. Never watched Dark Skies, other than the Jonny Depp remake. The remake was bad, but fun.

Blacula was just bad. But, I think I've watched it 3 times now because it kept making into our Halloween night movie marathons.

... and then there is Jesus Christ Vampire Slayer. Shot here in Ottawa, Ontario about 15 years ago if I remember. So bad. So very, very bad ... and we laughed so very, very hard at it.