Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A New History of Midgard?
(02-01-2020, 03:55 AM)Steve Kort Wrote: My whole concept here is build on the Midgard that others have played otherwise the value of the name is worthless.  Also use the time and incident to further the reasons of why these groups have issues or problems with each other.  I would go into further detail on the Gift/Getham merger that many of the Getham Leaders had children that were in the preisthood and that the events forced the Getham to use their wealth to help the Gift build hospitals and things to save the people and with the conditions so poor they were forced to combine to make the most out of their resources.  This effectively gives you a religious order of engineer/merchants, while a one true god religion it would simply be tolerated by the Banner as it is more accepting or tolerant of non-one true god religions.

I don't have any problems with this kind of vision.  Do you suppose that most players would agree that was a good direction to go in?
(02-01-2020, 04:51 AM)Steve Kort Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 04:04 AM)DreamWeaver Wrote: I do not like hat design at all, and I am sorry but the Gift are good the way they were designed. But why destroy the Gift, to save the Getham? Do that and no one will want to play either of those factions, let alone the combination Sudo-Bogus new faction. I say drop the Getham all together. I know I would not play in that faction.
Then drop them both the Gift was never a major faction and never had numbers.  The only reason anyone ever played a Gift clan was it counted as an engineer and they got a added build order.  The fact is they really did not fit in.

This is the kind of discussion I want to be seeing out here!  Keep up the good work!
The thing is they don't have to be everyones worse nightmare, they just need to be tough enough to not have any true allies. The fact is the Boda really only cared about the north part of the continent. The Roder would be there area of the world. Meaning only a small area would they likely gang up on them. For the most part the religious people would not care for them but they also really don't want to fight unless they had to. Now the Banner could find issue with them or anyone if they ever felt they were supporting any sort of outside religion.
They can be tough, as long as they don't have overwhelming advantages (like built-in level 25.0 walls!) over the other factions.  What's all this I've been hearing about everybody ganging up to fight the Imps because that's the only way they can keep them from taking over completely?
I forget to look at this website for 6 months and then I look at what's happened !

Played Midgard many moons again and would like to get back into this.

So much to read and so many questions as to what's happening. Plenty of reading for the next couple of days me thinks !

Colin
(03-03-2020, 09:49 PM)Kain Wrote: I forget to look at this website for 6 months and then I look at what's happened !

Welcome back, Kain!  I think there's enough here all of a sudden to wear out your eyes!  Keep in mind as you read that a number of plans were changed along the way due to these conversations.

If you'd like to PM me your email I can add you to my distribution list for any formal announcements.
just sent you a PM

would be interested to see how this turns out.

I'm not on facebook so can't see anything from that end !
(02-01-2020, 04:58 AM)Davin Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 04:51 AM)Steve Kort Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 04:04 AM)DreamWeaver Wrote: I do not like hat design at all, and I am sorry but the Gift are good the way they were designed. But why destroy the Gift, to save the Getham? Do that and no one will want to play either of those factions, let alone the combination Sudo-Bogus new faction. I say drop the Getham all together. I know I would not play in that faction.
Then drop them both the Gift was never a major faction and never had numbers.  The only reason anyone ever played a Gift clan was it counted as an engineer and they got a added build order.  The fact is they really did not fit in.

This is the kind of discussion I want to be seeing out here!  Keep up the good work!

Some good thoughts there. I liked the original setup the Australian game had with the Imperials, 3 families, Gift/Banner/Ring/B&F, MV and Soa (don't think I missed any). Originally I thought who would play Gift or Getham but after playing for a bit took up a Getham clan just to try something a little different and liked the difference. I would suggest keeping the base lore as close to possible to the original as that is what made the game good fun. 

In defence of the Gift. If Gift are the healer/builders then they would have more importance if as noted in some of the other threads some of the cities might not be starting off as strong? Being able to re-build via Gift abilities would certainly help there! Or if a random plague is built in to the game world engine I kind of think that having some Gift healers around might be useful...…  Gift-ies are the types that join up because they want friends and want to help.  It is good to offer quite a contrasting religious caste/archtype. The only thing I would probably change is that name Angel

I am not sure how it ran in other countries but with the Aussie version we all started generally up towards the top-ish of the North Island (If I remember correctly) spread out and explored our way south from there. I found the base history matched the start of the game very well.  We then bumped into some of the "hidden factions" such as Orthodox Banner, Winged Society (I think), Seakings etc as we were exploring. Having some hidden factions made it very interesting. While not as strong, you could join a faction that was niche, and some people like that! They might not be as strong as the families or the imperials, but it adds some unknowns to the game. These can always be added later to the game anyway.

One of the biggest things about early Midgard for me anyway, was all the unknowns. The early map, the cities, dodging the early clans that were bandits, the GM tidbits in the turn message for the area you are in, …. the exploring was hell fun! Then add to that the trading of information between players. This was a big piece of the fun of Midgard.

Probably missed out on some stuff or forgot some of the mechanics - been trying to throw my brain back 25 years! Bit of a challenge these days!