Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A New History of Midgard?
Bug 
Midgard already has a reasonably-well-described history leading up to the “present time”, but included in this were a number of obvious and not-so-obvious game “restarts” (including a quite violent meteor strike).  Since we’re talking about yet another restart, what recommendations do you have for altering the history of the Midgard world?

I guess first and foremost, should we leave the meteor strike in the history books, or rewrite the consequences of that meteor (effectively replacing it as a different strike), or get rid of it altogether?  Should we go back in time and run Midgard from an earlier time in its history, or just make little changes to it but leave it basically intact, or write a new alternate history altogether?  Should we try to “explain” the restart or just pretend that it was like that all along (story-wise)?  Maybe you can even come up with other options.

What are your opinions on the subject?
Thumbs Up 
Davin Wrote:Midgard already has a reasonably-well-described history leading up to the “present time”, but included in this were a number of obvious and not-so-obvious game “restarts” (including a quite violent meteor strike).  Since we’re talking about yet another restart, what recommendations do you have for altering the history of the Midgard world?

I guess first and foremost, should we leave the meteor strike in the history books, or rewrite the consequences of that meteor (effectively replacing it as a different strike), or get rid of it altogether?  Should we go back in time and run Midgard from an earlier time in its history, or just make little changes to it but leave it basically intact, or write a new alternate history altogether?  Should we try to “explain” the restart or just pretend that it was like that all along (story-wise)?  Maybe you can even come up with other options.

What are your opinions on the subject?

[Image: great-strike.png]
 I believe we should go with the Meteor Strike story line and just rewrite history slightly from there.

History:
The skies grew dark and a great ball of glowing red light steaked across the skies heading south over Midgard. It seem to hit the sea south of Midgard and north of Kalmar. At the point of impact, everyone was thrown off their feet. After the strike great waves came crashing inland and swept over the lands of Midgard. Many cities in the south were simply swept away. Meanwhile great earth quakes were felt across the lands everywhere and many cities were reduced to rubble and/or burned to the ground. Then those that managed to survive that had to endure a great long winter that lasted two years, leave many to die from the elements or famine. Much was lost and most people just tried to survive. That was from the times of our parents, and now people have started to reform and rebuild from the ruins of the past. Some of the former political organizations have reformed again and have started to via for political control of the lands once again. The Imperial invaders, and three great Midgard native Families of; the Boda, the Getham and the Roder.  Also some religions sects have reformed as well; The Banner, The Gift, and The Ring.  Other organizations are rumored to also have started up or come into existence but at this point they just seem to be rumors.

NOTE: Just forget the past games play and start over as stated above. Simply have as you starting factions the (7) of: Imperial, Boda, Getham, Roder, Banner, Gift, and Ring.  Now you could then do the redesign of all of them to make them refreshed and fun to play, then after they are all fully in play, then consider adding other factions again.
Brother to Brother, for one and all. United we stand, and divided others will fall. Hear my call, and take up your arms with me as we bring Justice to all. Big Grin

Father Morpheus's theme music
We could also add the two religions of Blood & Fire, and Cult of the Dark One as well too.
Brother to Brother, for one and all. United we stand, and divided others will fall. Hear my call, and take up your arms with me as we bring Justice to all. Big Grin

(01-02-2020, 03:58 AM)DreamWeaver Wrote: Just forget the past games play and start over as stated above. Simply have as you starting factions the (7) of: Imperial, Boda, Getham, Roder, Banner, Gift, and Ring.  Now you could then do the redesign of all of them to make them refreshed and fun to play, then after they are all fully in play, then consider adding other factions again.

That's certainly a reasonable approach.  Let's see if we can come up with some additional (agreeing or disagreeing) opinions.
Yes the Meteor Strike story line sounds the best option with some minor rewrite of history from there. Have everything start as little better than ruins and a total build up again.
Ever dance with the Dark Man, by the pale moon light? If you do risk it, it will be the last time you ever will.
Sounds reasonable, though as I mentioned before I expect some significant loss of control and infrastructure, just so people have things that need rebuilding.

Who else has some opinions to share?
[Image: Beta-test-island-01.png]

Here is a great looking Island....maybe have a total Ruins on it and another city on the far side that is just a fishing village/port/town, and maybe a slightly larger inner island town.

A good-looking size, but it seems a bit rugged for the kind of movement we'd need to be playing.

I don't see a problem with just drawing out a map by hand, though, and keeping it small and simple.
I forget now but look at the island just west of Migard is it 'O-3' and 'O-2" area there is a island there you could use.

I'll have to dig the world map out of the database sometime when I get some time to work on it.