Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faction #32 - Seekers of Knowledge
There are other options as well but they are not as useful for a larger group of users. To get something useful for a larger group, you will need to use a paid service.
(02-14-2020, 07:01 PM)DreamWeaver Wrote: I guess Davin you have to look at these options and tell us what direction you wish t0 go with.

Yeah, I was just hoping for folks to find me a bunch of good, free choices that I could select from.  <sigh>
(02-16-2020, 11:48 PM)Davin Wrote: Yeah, I was just hoping for folks to find me a bunch of good, free choices that I could select from.  <sigh>

I recommended to Penn to have a Facebook group for the game (I created one, but I am currently the only person in it). You can put files in Facebook groups. I hate forums and am only able to post on these forums when I am at home. Facebook groups I can use throughout the day on my phone. And I know... "But I don't use Facebook." I have heard that before. The solution is to "start using it." It is certainly an option for free file sharing.
(02-14-2020, 03:57 PM)Dark Shadows Wrote: I have to ask what is the purpose, what is the intended use for the file-sharing?

What I want to do is start building some communal "documentation", such as the descriptions of each faction.  Everyone should be able to read everything we put out there and some subset of those should be able to edit it to include information that we discuss here on the forum into a final form.

I guess if we're careful we could allow anyone to edit it (perhaps a wiki could help?) but I don't want to get into disagreements directly in the documents.  I'd rather hash things out here in the forum and put the currently-final version in the document.

If we can't get something that allows shared editing, then perhaps we'll rely on just one person putting it in, but I still want everyone to be able to review all the changes so they have a chance to complain about them (here).

Can you think of a better plan?
(02-14-2020, 11:03 AM)FutureSojourner Wrote: For personal use it is free.  I use it all the time.  For professional use, you need to use G Suites and that costs.  

Another option would be to email documents to people the good old fashioned way.

BTW, I run a podcast (I have put out 57 episodes of said podcast) and would love to start a Midgard Podcast when the time is right.

Hmmm... this isn't directly about making money, but I guess we'd have to call it commercial anyway.

Emailing documents around just won't work - there must be a single source of all the data.

Good idea on the podcast!
(02-16-2020, 01:49 AM)TheDarkSide Wrote: There are other options as well but they are not as useful for a larger group of users. To get something useful for a larger group, you will need to use a paid service.

What do you mean by "a larger group"?  If we had public reading it and only one editor, would that qualify?
(02-17-2020, 12:06 AM)FutureSojourner Wrote: I recommended to Penn to have a Facebook group for the game (I created one, but I am currently the only person in it).  You can put files in Facebook groups.  I hate forums and am only able to post on these forums when I am at home.  Facebook groups I can use throughout the day on my phone.  And I know... "But I don't use Facebook."  I have heard that before.  The solution is to "start using it."  It is certainly an option for free file sharing.

<sigh> Yes, I'm one of those who hates Facebook.  It will eat all of my time and I don't have any to begin with.  Do the files sit in one place and get edited, or is there a new version of each file posted every time it changes?

Hmmm...  what about places like SourceForge or GitHub?  They have file repositories and everyone can read there and collaborative editing of some sort is permitted.

Comments?
(02-17-2020, 12:17 AM)Davin Wrote: <sigh> Yes, I'm one of those who hates Facebook.  It will eat all of my time and I don't have any to begin with.  Do the files sit in one place and get edited, or is there a new version of each file posted every time it changes?

Hmmm...  what about places like SourceForge or GitHub?  They have file repositories and everyone can read there and collaborative editing of some sort is permitted.

Comments?

I have never heard of SourceForge or GitHub.

When I was young I heard about new PBM games through magazines like "Paper Mayhem" and "Flagship," and I wrote for both (and still have them someplace in long term storage. We don't have them and this website is old fashioned that few people seem to use. I would like to see young players and seasoned Gen X players alike. Do do this there needs to be a presence on social media. I have offered to host a podcast for Midgard but there should to be a presence on social media to get the word out. I fear it will just be Penn and a few other players recruiting their friends.
I am open to all sorts of things, but before you go to far get the up and running first. The people here now are mostly former die-hard players willing to speak up and comment on matters to hopefully get the game back up and playing again. Until we get the game active and in open player mode, I wouldn't spread the word to far.
Brother to Brother, for one and all. United we stand, and divided others will fall. Hear my call, and take up your arms with me as we bring Justice to all. Big Grin

Father Morpheus's theme music