Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Space Debris: In-game happenings in Takamo (Player Discussion)
Since Ixnay is too busy trying to get his fledgling trade corporation off the ground in this one, I'll initiate this discussion thread.

OK, so I sign up for this free game of the original version of Takamo, and here I was, trying to figure out how to submit a set of turn orders for my very first turn in this game that I have never played before (despite the fact that I remember seeing ads for this game in old PBM magazine sway back when.

Fortunately for me, game creator Randy Ritnour came to the rescue, answering a few questions and otherwise tolerating my insane attempt to join this game without reading the rulebook all of the way through. Ahem...I did skim the rules, so that should be worth something, shouldn't it?

So, not having any real clue as to what I was actually doing, I submitted a set of turn orders, and in due time, my turn results for that first turn arrivedin my e-mail in-box.

Thus, begins this discussion thread. Submit to it, as you see fit, as you dare.
Think that you're safe in this game, just because it's your first turn?

Try telling that to my first set of turn results. Here are a few lines from my Turn # 1's results:

Danger Danger Probe detects fighters are attacking. . . ...

Danger Danger Fort(s) are fir.....
Defense control reports destruction of enemy probe.

WARNING WARNING fleet is in danger of being destroyed!

Suddenly, the galaxy is looking mighty small.
Yep. Don't make the mistake of thinking that because that planet on your initial setup LOOKS empty... or your explorers will get their heads handed to them at least part of the time.

I highly recommend using the Planetary Probes the first turn or two - they are cheap (30 RUs each) and expendable anyway. This way you can find out where the nasty aliens are without scratching the new paint job.

You DO want to have some exploring fleets, but remember to set your fleet's aggression level as low as it will go. Also pick a fleet maneuver.
my first turn I built 5 explorers and lost all 5 to black holes
my second turn i built 5 more and lost them to planets
i was like never mind I will just send planetary probes but the tec raise helped in that respect

Very rough start in the first 3 turns. I thought it was going to be a rough start but I am progressing ok now...at least I think so
(04-11-2014, 08:24 PM)Trader_Phred Wrote: Yep. Don't make the mistake of thinking that because that planet on your initial setup LOOKS empty... or your explorers will get their heads handed to them at least part of the time.

I highly recommend using the Planetary Probes the first turn or two - they are cheap (30 RUs each) and expendable anyway. This way you can find out where the nasty aliens are without scratching the new paint job.

I'm not all that nasty!Big Grin
(04-12-2014, 12:38 AM)Nazareth Wrote: I'm not all that nasty!

I wasn't suggesting you were. Now, me, on the other manipulative tendril...
Wink

The rationale for picking a maneuver order is that NOT having one universally sucks, compared to a fleet that DOES have one.

I have got to find that box of stuff that has all of my old papers in it, I seem to recall seeing an (admittedly incomplete) comparison chart of the 9 different combat maneuvers vs each other.
(04-12-2014, 01:06 AM)Trader_Phred Wrote:
(04-12-2014, 12:38 AM)Nazareth Wrote: I'm not all that nasty!

I wasn't suggesting you were. Now, me, on the other manipulative tendril...
Wink

The rationale for picking a maneuver order is that NOT having one universally sucks, compared to a fleet that DOES have one.

I have got to find that box of stuff that has all of my old papers in it, I seem to recall seeing an (admittedly incomplete) comparison chart of the 9 different combat maneuvers vs each other.

Know what you mean, i believe i tossed all of it within last 3 months, a sad day indeed/
(04-12-2014, 12:38 AM)Nazareth Wrote: I highly recommend using the Planetary Probes the first turn or two - they are cheap (30 RUs each) and expendable anyway. This way you can find out where the nasty aliens are without scratching the new paint job.

good advice, however, that wont help you find black holes..or your ships that enter them
(04-12-2014, 12:14 AM)Nicademus Wrote: my first turn I built 5 explorers and lost all 5 to black holes
i was like never mind I will just send planetary probes but the tec raise helped in that respect

Very rough start in the first 3 turns. I thought it was going to be a rough start but I am progressing ok now...at least I think so

It is refreshing to learn of such misfortune.
(04-12-2014, 02:51 PM)GrimFinger Wrote:
(04-12-2014, 12:14 AM)Nicademus Wrote: my first turn I built 5 explorers and lost all 5 to black holes

It is refreshing to learn of such misfortune.

refreshing????