Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this thing still on?
Any room for a lost sheep to rejoin the flock (again)?
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Have you seen the Shepherd?  I smell wolves and hear banjos!  Confused
I am trying wdip my toes back in the pool, here. Been away for a while! Lots to talk about! Anyone cranking up a new PBM game or need a replacement player to fill a dropout position?
You could always play a solo game of Galac-Tac to get used to the rules and strategies for any future game. You could also try publishing comments/reviews as you go, like you were interested in doing once upon a time.

Some of our current players may be able to confirm that play strategies can be much more complex than the rules themselves suggest.
(11-25-2020, 08:38 PM)Davin Wrote: You could always play a solo game of Galac-Tac to get used to the rules and strategies for any future game. You could also try publishing comments/reviews as you go, like you were interested in doing once upon a time.

The problem with commenting publicly during an ongoing game is that your opponents would have a HUGE advantage over you!

(11-25-2020, 08:38 PM)Davin Wrote: Some of our current players may be able to confirm that play strategies can be much more complex than the rules themselves suggest.

I can verify Galac-Tac's tactical complexity!  I love tactical games and Galac-Tac really scratches that particular itch.  And unlike some of those open-ended games where most people just endlessly turtle, Galac-Tac games have a relatively short build up phase before all Hell breaks loose!
(11-25-2020, 10:47 PM)Lugh Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 08:38 PM)Davin Wrote: You could always play a solo game of Galac-Tac to get used to the rules and strategies for any future game. You could also try publishing comments/reviews as you go, like you were interested in doing once upon a time.

The problem with commenting publicly during an ongoing game is that your opponents would have a HUGE advantage over you!

However, I was suggesting (as he had previously planned) commenting on a solo game where the opponents don't visit this board.  Granted, the solo opponents are pretty stupid, but the solo game still gives you an idea of the flavor to expect.

(11-25-2020, 10:47 PM)Lugh Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 08:38 PM)Davin Wrote: Some of our current players may be able to confirm that play strategies can be much more complex than the rules themselves suggest.

I can verify Galac-Tac's tactical complexity!  I love tactical games and Galac-Tac really scratches that particular itch.  And unlike some of those open-ended games where most people just endlessly turtle, Galac-Tac games have a relatively short build up phase before all Hell breaks loose!

Yes, and one problem that new players often have is realizing how short a time they actually have to get their act in gear to stay competitive. Usually they need to start making their moves before they really feel like they have a stable footing.

Also, late in the game most players start to realize how important early intelligence is, and how they should have worked more of it in before the fighting got too intense.

Balancing resources (of many sorts) is both important and difficult during all phases of the game, but you start to get a better handle on it after playing through two or three whole games, and everyone handles such balancing acts differently.

Perhaps ixnay could tell us about his learning curve?