Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue #19 - Suspense & Decision PBM magazine
This thread is for discussion of Issue #19 of Suspense & Decision magazine.

The Submission Deadline for articles, news, events, etc. for Issue #19 is: 10 September, 2019

The scheduled Publication Deadline for Issue #19 is: 30 September, 2019
You've left a couple of the issue numbers in that message as old numbers.

Congrats on becoming scheduled again!
OK, people, send something in for Issue #19, whether it be an article, a comment, a memory, a piece of art that you drew, some feedback on a PBM game or PBM company, a photo of yourself, your likes and dislikes about various PBM games, or even a critique about Suspense & Decision, itself. I implemented a few new changes to the last issue, Issue #18, so feel free to tell me whether you liked them or not.

I have two days left in the trial period for the software that I used to create Issue #18. Do you think that I should continue to use this software, or go back to the old way of creating issues?

The submission deadline for stuff for Issue #19 is September 10th, 2019 - that's just sixteen days away. Sorry to cut it so short, but I'm trying to get things back onto a better, more brisk schedule going forward. Thank you in advance for your interest and your participation, and thank you for supporting Suspense & Decision magazine with your patronage!
I think that the output from your new software looks just fine, and not too much different than the old methods.  I think the main point is whether or not you like using it to build the issue.  From the sounds of things you seem to like it a lot (now that the learning curve is mostly over), so I'd let that be the deciding factor.
(08-25-2019, 06:02 PM)Davin Wrote: I think that the output from your new software looks just fine, and not too much different than the old methods.  I think the main point is whether or not you like using it to build the issue.  From the sounds of things you seem to like it a lot (now that the learning curve is mostly over), so I'd let that be the deciding factor.

Hi Davin,

I deliberately retained the bulk of the "look" of previous issues, as I didn't want to deal with multiple learning curves in addition to the learning curve for the new software, itself, simultaneously.

The learning curve for the software is not "mostly over." There's still a LOT to learn about it. I tried to see if I could replicate at least the bulk of what I was doing, already. Because if not, then I could just fall back on what I was already using.

The biggest visual change to Issue #18 was the clickable table of contents, and the handy link to get players back to the table of contents at the bottom of pages that featured articles. I tried to make it quicker to access desired content, as well as more convenient to get back to the table of contents. I probably spent more hours working on Issue #18 than any other issue, even though numerous other issues that preceded it contained far more pages. Overcoming the worst of new learning curves is very taxing. It's almost as bad overcoming learning curves for software as it is overcoming learning curves here rule books for games are concerned. Almost.
(08-25-2019, 05:41 PM)Davin Wrote: You've left a couple of the issue numbers in that message as old numbers.

That caused by me copying and pasting from a previous issue. I noticed it, when I first posted it. As I catch it, I fix it. Thanks for the heads up, though.
I received two articles for Issue #19 via e-mail, tonight.
Also, I previously received a draft of another article, which makes three articles, total for Issue #19, so far.
UPDATE: I have begun compiling issue #19.
UPDATE: Starting to get some fresh ads sent in to me, for Issue #19. Board game companies and war game companies seem to appreciate the value of free ad space better than PBM companies do. new ads help to generate fresh visual contrast to the text mass that articles present to our readers. It also helps with cross-pollination efforts of various turn-based gaming populations.