Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Example Turns on PBM Wiki
Hi everyone,

One of the things I am hoping to do is collect sample turns for all active PBMs to place on the PBM Wiki. Virtually no PBM companies still in existence offer sample turns on their own websites, which I find unusual, since evaluating turn results is one of the best ways to get a feel for the game itself.

Any thoughts on this? It will require multiple people to take this effort on, so I can't do it alone.
Raven Zachary in Portland, Oregon, USA. Currently playing: TribeNetSuperNova, KnightGuildMiddle-earthTakamo, and Wraith.
I can provide some copies of old Hyborian War turns. They are already uploaded to my web hosting account. I'll just have to dig up the links to them for you.
(08-11-2019, 04:35 PM)Rinzai Wrote: One of the things I am hoping to do is collect sample turns for all active PBMs to place on the PBM Wiki. Virtually no PBM companies still in existence offer sample turns on their own websites, which I find unusual, since evaluating turn results is one of the best ways to get a feel for the game itself.

That's an interesting thought.  I could put together something for Galac-Tac to put on our web site and send you a copy.
Raven,

I sent you an e-mail with some old Hyborian War turn results.
This is a good idea -- not just to share old treasures and show newbies how games are played, but to prod game creators into improving their turn result layouts...
I wouldn't mind improving the format for Galac-Tac turn results, as it's still using its ancient full-page PBM layout (just now in HTML).  But I'd really like to also come up with an HTML format that is more usable on phones.  I don't suppose anyone might have any ideas about that?
(08-11-2019, 04:35 PM)Rinzai Wrote: It will require multiple people to take this effort on, so I can't do it alone.

Yes, you can!
Ha, I can't do it alone because I don't know every current PBM in existence. I can do the posting part alone. I need help from the players who are passionate about their respective games who can contribute the content. I can also go the the PBM companies and ask for them, but I don't think there is an accurate list anywhere of who is still in operation.
Raven Zachary in Portland, Oregon, USA. Currently playing: TribeNetSuperNova, KnightGuildMiddle-earthTakamo, and Wraith.
I doubt that anyone knows every PBEM game in existence. Actual games played via the postal service will be but a handful, as far as what is actually knowable.
I imagine most people would be happy to upload some of their favorite turn results -- either screen-shots or scanned paper docs. What we'd need is a repository, and a curator to avoid letting it get too cluttered or too full of just one or two games.

If we keep them to simple images (PDF, PNG, JPG), could we host them on the PBM wiki? Is there a preferred image host people like using? I'm reluctant to use things like google docs or dropbox, for security reasons.

Or do we just put up a thread here somewhere, and let people upload with someone in charge of curating the thread?