Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue #17 - Suspense & Decision PBM magazine
This thread is for discussion of Issue #17 of Suspense & Decision magazine.

The Submission Deadline for articles, news, events, etc. for Issue #17 is: 20 March, 2017

The scheduled Publication Deadline for Issue #17 is: 01 April, 2017
UPDATE: Doing a little compiling on Issue #17, tonight. I'm up to page #9.
Mumble, grumble. Grumble, mumble.

Always behind, it seems. Why is it that the smallest issues seem to take the longest? Even still, a portion of progress, tonight.
A 16-page article, and I get to the very end of it, and somehow or other, the program closes out before I saved my changes to it.

The trials of an editor are many, it seems.

Now, I get to start over.

Pah!
Dealing with formatting issues is a real pain in the ass. They are the single biggest headache, and the most time-consuming aspect, of trying to compile a magazine.

Hours and hours of time devoured whole, with little in net gain to show for it. Providing a template in a common format seems to be a pointless exercise in futility. Surely, there has to be a better way.
Nothing a night of sleep can't solve.

Unfortunately, the real world returns and will intervene, today, Progress, thus, will come to a screeching halt, once more.
Currently, we are up to Page #26 of Issue #17 in the compiling process.
When it rains, it pours.

So, while compiling, I noticed that a couple of pages seemed shorter, when viewed. So, I decided to do a few test prints of certain pages. Somehow or other, the side margins got screwed up, and I didn't notice it in time.

Yes, this constitutes a delay.

I doubt that very many readers actually print out their copies of issues of Suspense & Decision magazine, but one core objective has to always take that into consideration, where the publishing of issues is concerned. It's the primary reason why each issue publishes in 4-page increments, to make sure that the page count works out for those who bother to print their own issues or to have them printed by a print shop.
I'm sorry for your publishing trials and tribble-ations. I, for one, would be happy to follow a template for contributions if that would help.
(08-07-2017, 02:24 PM)Davin Wrote: I'm sorry for your publishing trials and tribble-ations.  I, for one, would be happy to follow a template for contributions if that would help.

The issue isn't you, Davin. I re-did the entire problem area, and now I still have one image ad that simply doesn't adhere to the established standard. This is a separate issue from the problem mentioned above. What's particularly odd about it is that I tend to re-use old ads for certain games, to make sure that they have a presence in the issue at hand.  I fixed it, thought that I had it fixed, and then it reverted back to a smaller page size. It's just bizarre.

I may reboot my computer, and see if that eliminates the problem. Maybe it's just a ghost, and not an actual problem. It's very annoying and very time-consuming, I know that.