Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intro
Hey all,

My name is Joe, aka the Greyhawk Grognard. I run a blog by that same name (http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com) and just found out about this site today.

I've been into gaming of all sorts-- board games, hex-and-counter wargames, miniatures, rpg's, and yes pbm games-- for pretty much my entire life. I started with Tactics II when I was about 8 years old and never stopped.

I was very heavily into play by mail games in the 1980's, starting with Schubel & Sons' StarMaster, which I saw advertised in Dragon magazine, and soon branching out into a large number of different games; Rimworlds, Renaissance, Beyond the Stellar Empire, Galaxy Alpha, Hyborean Wars, etc. etc. etc. I took a hand at making and running my own PBM game, Sail the Solar Winds. Alas, running it was a large manual process, and I had to give it up due to time constraints. I also was a game master for KSK Concepts, after they bought the rights to run a new and improved version of StarMaster. I had a hand in the redesign, and spent a lot of time converting the old hand-written sheets into database format, and then running the turns. I sort of faded out of the pbm scene after college, but still have fond memories of the hobby.
(03-24-2011, 01:23 PM)Greyhawk Grognard Wrote: I was very heavily into play by mail games in the 1980's, starting with Schubel & Sons' StarMaster, which I saw advertised in Dragon magazine, and soon branching out into a large number of different games; Rimworlds, Renaissance, Beyond the Stellar Empire, Galaxy Alpha, Hyborean Wars, etc. etc. etc.

Howdy G.G. I used to play BSE myself back in the days when ABM still ran it. I went to a few GenCons in the early 90's to meet up with the BSE crew. I was in the AFT. I was never much of a power player, and actually never got into any combat, although I did help RIP Lord Neal supply his ground parties with missiles on Utopia that he used to great effect to cause a bunch of the new player colonies to attack each other and waste 10's of Thousands of missiles.

The new browser game I'm working on has a lot of similarities with BSE, at least in regards to the system and planet maps.

Hatch
http://projectlibertine.blogspot.com
Joe,

You have a truly great site over there. Lots of depth on lots of different gaming related stuff. For those interested in PBM gaming, they should certainly check out this link on your site.

We need to learn more about your PBM game, Sail the Solar Winds, and we would love to hear some of your recollections and experiences during your PBM gaming career.

(03-24-2011, 01:23 PM)Greyhawk Grognard Wrote: Rimworlds, Renaissance, Beyond the Stellar Empire, Galaxy Alpha, Hyborean Wars, etc. etc. etc. I took a hand at making and running my own PBM game, Sail the Solar Winds.

Of all of those PBM space games that you played, which one did you like the best and which one did you like the least, and why, respectively?

Also, can you tell us about your time playing Galaxy: Alpha. There's a Galaxy: Alpha thread on the site, already. Which empire did you play in that game?

Do you have any old turn results or stuff from any of those old PBM games, by chance?

(03-24-2011, 01:23 PM)Greyhawk Grognard Wrote: Hey all,

My name is Joe, aka the Greyhawk Grognard. I run a blog by that same name (http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com) and just found out about this site today.

Joe! Glad to see you made it to the site, I should've explicitly mentioned it in our emails about Far Horizons.
I started following your blog about a week ago, having visited it (lurked) several times in recent months. Its great stuff.