Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sentience In Stasis: The Mechanized Tribulations of a Starting Cybernetic
(07-11-2014, 04:46 PM)GrimFinger Wrote:
(07-11-2014, 04:42 PM)GrimFinger Wrote: But, I do like the action coder checker option, very much. What a Godsend that is!

Except, it appears that it doesn't work with all of the codes, only some of them.

ACK!!!!!!!!!!

Which ones in particular. I tested it with all action codes as thorough as I could. If I missed something let me know and I'll fix it. Easy enough.

(07-11-2014, 04:55 PM)GrimFinger Wrote: ACK!! I just lost everything that I had worked on for turn orders fro the next turn. The bane of dependence upon a turn input mechanism built atop a web page.

:::SIGH:::

Might want to save your turn every few actions. No matter if you're using a program, web page, spreadsheet, etc. doing it just a good rule of thumb.
(07-11-2014, 05:15 PM)Takamo44 Wrote: Which ones in particular. I tested it with all action codes as thorough as I could. If I missed something let me know and I'll fix it. Easy enough.

183, for one.

It may be codes that are Cybernetic-specific. Not sure.

Why isn't everything in the rulebook?

In the rulebook, though, when a chart or table extends past a single page, the header information for it needs to be on each page that the chart or table is displayed on. The display of basic data isn't geared toward the novice player.
The pace at which my turn orders proceed is dreadfully slow. It takes hours for me to issue basic orders.

Even though the game is free, I don't know if I am going to be able to afford to play this game for much longer, based solely upon how much it costs in time to play.

It's very frustrating. If it weren't for Dave, I would have already quit this game.
(07-11-2014, 05:51 PM)GrimFinger Wrote: The pace at which my turn orders proceed is dreadfully slow. It takes hours for me to issue basic orders.

Even though the game is free, I don't know if I am going to be able to afford to play this game for much longer, based solely upon how much it costs in time to play.

It's very frustrating. If it weren't for Dave, I would have already quit this game.
It takes me about 3 hours total per week. Reporting the data to my excel files from the turn results to researching what I want to do the next turn and then inputting it to send to Randy. Of course I have anywhere from 10-20 actions that are repeated each turn I write.

What is the source of your greatest challenge in speed of getting a turn out? Maybe I can offer some suggestions that would help you.
Do NOT want to see you leave the game.

(07-11-2014, 05:15 PM)Takamo44 Wrote:
(07-11-2014, 04:46 PM)GrimFinger Wrote:
(07-11-2014, 04:42 PM)GrimFinger Wrote: But, I do like the action coder checker option, very much. What a Godsend that is!

Except, it appears that it doesn't work with all of the codes, only some of them.

ACK!!!!!!!!!!

Which ones in particular. I tested it with all action codes as thorough as I could. If I missed something let me know and I'll fix it. Easy enough.

(07-11-2014, 04:55 PM)GrimFinger Wrote: ACK!! I just lost everything that I had worked on for turn orders fro the next turn. The bane of dependence upon a turn input mechanism built atop a web page.

:::SIGH:::

Might want to save your turn every few actions. No matter if you're using a program, web page, spreadsheet, etc. doing it just a good rule of thumb.

Do you have Microsoft Excel. I build my turn on that and then xfer it to a notepad format and then load it to the input page...seems to work for me and no chance of losing the turn on the unstable input page. I used to write it there and have lost everything due to hitting the backspace button toooo many times...so I stopped doing it that way.
(07-11-2014, 06:05 PM)Nicademus Wrote: It takes me about 3 hours total per week. Reporting the data to my excel files from the turn results to researching what I want to do the next turn and then inputting it to send to Randy. Of course I have anywhere from 10-20 actions that are repeated each turn I write.

What is the source of your greatest challenge in speed of getting a turn out? Maybe I can offer some suggestions that would help you.
Do NOT want to see you leave the game.

I'm not leaving the game. Rather, just blowing off frustration.

The greatest challenge is the nightmare that is the documentation.

(07-11-2014, 06:05 PM)Nicademus Wrote: Do you have Microsoft Excel. I build my turn on that and then xfer it to a notepad format and then load it to the input page...seems to work for me and no chance of losing the turn on the unstable input page. I used to write it there and have lost everything due to hitting the backspace button toooo many times...so I stopped doing it that way.

I hate spreadsheets. I can open them, but I detest them.

I would rather quit the game, than to have to use spreadsheets to play it.
Multiple hours consumed, thus far. It takes longer to issue orders for this game, each month, than it takes for me to publish the magazine.

As near as I can tell, I actually understand less about this game, now, than I did the first time that I started reading through the rulebook. I'm more confused, now, than I was when I started.
Starting next turn, I am going to just draw up a draft of my orders using old fashioned pen and paper, and then worry about using the turn order input page after that is done.

An old school game requires an old school solution, it seems.
Took a break, and am trying to tackle the orders, again, before the turn deadline.
Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.

99% of time spent is wasted, just going back and forth between pages, trying to figure out what to do, in order to do the most basic, rudimentary tasks in the game.

All of the frustration with the monstrosity that is the order system and documentation aside, it's actually quite interesting to see the difference that first-hand familiarity with the game makes to a set of turn orders. It's just a very different game, if you understand what to do. If not, then it quickly becomes a humongous time sink - only to accomplish next to nothing in a turn.

Frustration with documentation and an order system isn't fun, though. It really isn't.

I've currently got not quite 30 orders ready to go (I think). That's a little more than half of the available order blocks for a turn. How many hours has it been, since I started fiddling with this set of turn orders for the upcoming turn. Several. What a waste of a day!
(07-11-2014, 05:45 PM)GrimFinger Wrote:
(07-11-2014, 05:15 PM)Takamo44 Wrote: Which ones in particular. I tested it with all action codes as thorough as I could. If I missed something let me know and I'll fix it. Easy enough.

183, for one.

It may be codes that are Cybernetic-specific. Not sure.

Why isn't everything in the rulebook?

In the rulebook, though, when a chart or table extends past a single page, the header information for it needs to be on each page that the chart or table is displayed on. The display of basic data isn't geared toward the novice player.

Okay thank you. That's a start. However 183 is not an action code that is active or ever has been. What are you trying to do with that action code. Maybe I can let you know which one is the appropriate action code.