Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sentience In Stasis: The Mechanized Tribulations of a Starting Cybernetic
OK, I managed to issue 2 orders, and I sent my turn orders in via e-mail.

We'll see how that goes, and then try to figure out what to do for the next turn.

I did manage to add the e-mail address to submit turn orders to on the following page, previously, which was usful when I was trying to remember what address to send it to: http://playbymail.net/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=4
(05-23-2014, 06:54 PM)GrimFinger Wrote: The rules state: This orders a fleet with a Production Center Ship to move and land on a terraformed planet and convert to a Production
Center. You may then build additional PCs.

Is there more information available for Production Center Ships? Doing an electronic search of the rulebook leaves me in the dark.

I don't think that I am going to have time to figure out an actual set of orders for this turn.

As a Cybernetic player, I really have no idea what is better for me to do. Should I just destroy the worlds that I start with? Is it even possible to build Marine units, or the Cybernetic equivalent? Does that happen automatically.

I can honestly say that I hate the documentation that comes with the game.

I managed to issue a set of orders, last turn, but do I really know more about the game and understand more about what I should do, since doing that? Nope, not at all. As a Cybernetic, I am flying blind. My enthusiasm level is beginning to plummet.

There are other Cybers in the game. Ask a veteran for help. Randy implied that veterans would be helping the newer players. You can ask me for general help. I have the old rule book imprinted on my brain. And yes, you will find yourself flipping back and forth trying to figure out an action. It would be nice to fix the old rule book but would not be a good ROI at this point since the MMO is a different animal.

Some activities in the game are two stage: Build a *something* ship (BCnnn), send to planet, install *something*. Next turn build more *somethings* (BCmmm).
(05-23-2014, 11:33 PM)Rocketeer Wrote: There are other Cybers in the game. Ask a veteran for help. Randy implied that veterans would be helping the newer players. You can ask me for general help. I have the old rule book imprinted on my brain. And yes, you will find yourself flipping back and forth trying to figure out an action. It would be nice to fix the old rule book but would not be a good ROI at this point since the MMO is a different animal.

Some activities in the game are two stage: Build a *something* ship (BCnnn), send to planet, install *something*. Next turn build more *somethings* (BCmmm)..

I am already aware that there are other Cybernetic players out there. But, until and unless they communicate, they are largely out of the loop.

As far as asking a veteran for help, you need to keep in mind that the point of this particular thread is to serve the same basic purpose that a similar thread served, which I created for a game of Far Horizons. That thread can be found here:

http://playbymail.net/mybb/showthread.php?tid=89

The thread is intended to serve as a mechanism for me to express what I feel about the game, and in the early stages of the game, frustration will likely be the dominant feeling conveyed. As I do things right, and as I begin to grasp various aspects of the game, and as I begin to memorize actual, specific order codes (assuming that I manage to do that, eventually), then you will probably begin to see my spirits rise.

Any game is always going to be easier and smoother, if a player communicates with veteran players of whatever game is in question. I've already asked Tregonsee for advice, fairly recently, in fact.

Originally, I was supposed to have the entire morning available for me to figure out what turn orders to issue. But, things have a way of changing, and demands upon my time have a way of coming into existence quite unexpectedly. When that happens, it will put me in a bind, when it comes to trying to issue a full set of turn orders within a very attenuated time frame.

As a Cybernetic, basically, I view all bio-lifeform players to be my enemies. In a nutshell, I want to hunt them down and wipe them out. There's no grand mystery to the essence of what Cybernetics are supposed to do.

The game of Takamo that we are playing is basically run as a courtesy by Randy and crew. Do I think that they should divert resources from Takamo Universe to this older version of Takamo? Of course not!

Unlike with many veteran players, Takamo's rule set isn't second nature to me. What I am encountering, thus far, is that various pieces of information that I need are not all located in one place. So, I am invariably going back and forth, trying to flip between various electronic documents, in order to figure out what to actually do. It's very time consuming and very frustrating, yet it is the reality of my current dilemma.

Having no actual experience with the game, it's time-consuming to try and sort through it all. That's why I began, previously, trying to create my own set of documentation for the game. That is an exceptionally slow process, one barely begun.

Furthermore, a Cybernetic asking a bio-lifeform for advice is just something that I view to be bad form. I know that players are willing to help. But, it makes more sense to me to ask for advice from Cybernetic players, rather than from bio-lifeform players. Nothing personal, mind you.

Walter is playing a Cybernetic, but he has been fairly quiet, of late. But, he's new to the game, also, if memory serves me correctly.

My approach to learning this game, as well as some other games, tends to make things worse on me than they probably have to be, but there's rhyme and reason to my madness.
My turn # 8 orders have been processed, and while it was largely an uneventful turn for me, I did, at least, get to see how some things actually worked.

Beyond the actual results, it is interesting to see how certain things were approached by the game's designers and programmers.
I managed to write a grand total of two words about Takamo, when I somehow managed to veer off into writing an article about the game, Diplomacy, of all thing.

What the Hell?!

But, that's a Suspense & decision thing.

Apparently, some kind of inter-galactic Dreadnought Fairy was spotted in the game of Takama, recently, doling out dreadnoughts as if they were candy. I'm not sure what that's all about, or whether that's how the game of Takamo was played, historically, but as a Cybernetic, i am trying to embrace this whole "live and let live concept."

Which brings me to the next point - I seem to not be faring so well at reconciling that particular concept. A world had to die, you see. Practice makes perfect, they say.

Why did I do it?

Because, I can. Practice makes perfect, they say.

That little saying makes for a nice epitaph for the various little bio-lifeforms that are scurrying about, right now, becoming all powerful and such. In due time, we will automate your lives, easing you of the pain of living.
I'll have you know that my race has advanced beyond scurrying. Actually, scurrying would allow us to get a lot more done.

Do you have any garbage disposals for sale? Or are Cybers by their very nature garbage disposals?
We bio-lifeforms are a messy bunch.
(05-30-2014, 02:12 PM)Nazareth Wrote: Or are Cybers by their very nature garbage disposals?

No idea, actually. I appear to be a Cyber in name only, thus far.

Trying to make the turn order deadline. I have one order ready, so far.
As I try to craft a set of turn orders for the next turn, I am struck by how very time consuming that the process remains. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. I spend a huge amount of time just basking in a thick cloud of utter confusion. The rulebook is not geared toward new players. Not knowing what I need to do the most basic things is proving to be an endless source of frustration.

It translates into my position/empire/whatever I am continuing to fall behind. Economically, my position is dead in the water. I'm pretty sure that the object is to grow one's economy, but in order to do that, one must comprehend what one needs to do. I have no idea what I am doing. I just want to build one of something. I don't know how to build, so my economy does not grow. The instructions, as written, rival Far Horizons in their lack of clarity.

Thus far, it's been a very boring game, for me. If I weren't playing a Cybernetic position, then I probably would simply cease bothering with the game, at all.
NOTE TO SELF: Inadvertently clicking off the web page that the turn order input mechanism is on is not a good idea. Do it, and you start over on issuing turn orders for the turn in question.

:Confusedigh::
Does anyone have a starting guide for Cybernetic players?

Is there an index or a table of what I can build or can't? Information is scattered in so many places. I have no idea what I can build or can't. The more that I read through the rules, the less that it makes sense.