Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Call for Submissions for Issue # 1
(09-15-2013, 04:53 AM)GrimFinger Wrote: Issue # 1 of this new PBM/turn-based gaming magazine will be published no later than November 23rd, 2013, and no earlier than October 31st, 2013.

Submit early. Submit often.

Deadline: We would prefer that submissions for Issue 1 be made by October 15th 2013. Exceptions made on a case-by-case basis.[/size]

We are a little more than ten days past the previously posted preferred submission deadline, with numerous submissions committed to having not yet arrived, we will aim for the November 23rd publication target, instead of the October 31st publication target.

On a side note, if submissions-to-date are any indication, interest in advertising - even though it is free, for PBM games or for ancestral descendants of PBM games - is virtually non-existent. Regardless, we will publish the issue without ads, if that proves to be the case.

One tidbit that I found to be interesting is that, only the actual October 15th preferred submission deadline, one envelope arrived in my physical postal mailbox from Sweden. Yet, numerous submissions expected to come via electronic mail (e-mail) are proving to be slower to arrive than using the old fashioned postal service.

The ironies in life are great and many, eh?
(10-26-2013, 06:37 AM)GrimFinger Wrote:
(09-15-2013, 04:53 AM)GrimFinger Wrote: Issue # 1 of this new PBM/turn-based gaming magazine will be published no later than November 23rd, 2013, and no earlier than October 31st, 2013.

Submit early. Submit often.

Deadline: We would prefer that submissions for Issue 1 be made by October 15th 2013. Exceptions made on a case-by-case basis.[/size]

We are a little more than ten days past the previously posted preferred submission deadline, with numerous submissions committed to having not yet arrived, we will aim for the November 23rd publication target, instead of the October 31st publication target.

On a side note, if submissions-to-date are any indication, interest in advertising - even though it is free, for PBM games or for ancestral descendants of PBM games - is virtually non-existent. Regardless, we will publish the issue without ads, if that proves to be the case.

One tidbit that I found to be interesting is that, only the actual October 15th preferred submission deadline, one envelope arrived in my physical postal mailbox from Sweden. Yet, numerous submissions expected to come via electronic mail (e-mail) are proving to be slower to arrive than using the old fashioned postal service.

The ironies in life are great and many, eh?

OK, I'm on it! Prompt the people that promised you via e-mail rather than just on the board!

Happy hunting!

Harlequin
How are the submissions coming along?
Not that well, actually.

Since I chose two possible dates for publication of issue # 1, and very little was submitted by the first deadline, which was October 15th.

So, the publication date is now set at November 23rd, as initially announced in the first page of this thread.

Deadline is in one week - seven full days from today, which is November 20th.

People interested in submitting material for issue # 1 can send their stuff to myself or to Mark Wardell.

GrimFinger@GrimFinger.Net

Mark@wyeastgames.com

The sooner that you get it in, the better.

I will send a reminder via e-mail, when I return home from work, later today.
I submitted one essay just now, and a reprint of an old old article last night. Hopefully one or both will merit inclusion in the magazine. (Grim, see your PM inbox.) If not, let me know and I will just post them here on the forum for others to enjoy...
(11-21-2013, 05:45 PM)ixnay Wrote: I submitted one essay just now, and a reprint of an old old article last night. Hopefully one or both will merit inclusion in the magazine. (Grim, see your PM inbox.) If not, let me know and I will just post them here on the forum for others to enjoy...

I forwarded the one that you wrote for inclusion.
(09-15-2013, 04:53 AM)GrimFinger Wrote: Issue # 1 of this new PBM/turn-based gaming magazine will be published no later than November 23rd, 2013, and no earlier than October 31st, 2013.[/size]

Well, it appears that issue # 1 might incur a small delay, after all. I have sent most of the stuff (but not all of it) to Mark, who is compiling it on his end.

I asked for a few last minute changes to the lettering on the cover art for the front cover, also.

The blame lies with me, and me alone.

Technically, the time zone cow could still be milked, since it is still November 23rd in certain parts of the world. But, it isn't, where I live. So, I shall have to content myself to eating crow, where missing that deadline is concerned.

I do not want to publish it, without a cover - even though many may end up hating the cover.

The bulk of the articles and ads, such as they were, are already in place in Mark's hands, and have been compiled, in fact, into a single document form.

Whatever delay there is, though, should be measurable in days, maybe just a day or two, in all probability, but certainly before the end of the month of November, which is only six days away, even at the outermost point.

My apologies. It's taking shape, though.

Anyone who did not submit anything can always submit something for issue # 2. In certain instances, I am still awaiting approval for requests to reprint articles that appeared in other magazines, previously. I'm just trying to publish a magazine, not incur any legal headaches. My additional apologies for any inconveniences caused by this approach.

I do not have to work on Monday (tomorrow), so maybe any final touches can be put on it then.
I feel that you should not be apologizing for something that you do for a hobby. We are looking forward to the issue yes, but a couple of days or a week of delay makes no difference.
Just an update, for any who might be interested.

Mark and I have been out of communication for the last couple of days, Thanksgiving and Black Friday. The only changes that were remaining to be made were relatively cosmetic. My apologies for the delay.
Another update regarding issue # 1.

I heard back from Mark Wardell, again, about an hour and a half ago. The last of the kinks are being sorted out, and barring anything unforeseen, issue # 1 should get published, today.