Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The March of the PBM Saints
OK, so maybe they're not all saints, and maybe it's not so much a march as it is that they're just trudging along. Many of them are tired of wandering around in the PBM wilderness for years on end. Is the PBM Promised Land anywhere in sight, yet?

Over on the Facebook page for Starweb Play By Mail ( http://www.facebook.com/StarwebPBM ), which I visited, today, I took notice of two postings from a few months back.

The first of these two postings was dated September 1, 2011, and it explained that a Starweb player of over 30 years, someone named Lee Knirko, had decided to retire from playing that game. He was 88 years old, and he just wasn't able to manage it, anymore.

The second, but related, of these two postings was dated November 18, 2011. The news that it heralded was more sad than the first. You see, Lee Knirko had died.

I never knew Lee Knirko, but I knew guys like him - long time players of play by mail games. Eighty-eight years old, and still playing PBM games - almost right up to the literal very end. Now, that says something - both about Lee, and about this thing that we call a hobby.

Resilient. Enduring. Legacy.

I sent out an e-mail to PlayByMail.Net's site users a little while ago. Another one of those PlayByMail.Net News Alerts, as I like to call them. It was conspicuously silent about this editorial. Why? Because, I hadn't written it, by the time that I mailed it out. In fact, I had no plans to even write another editorial pertaining to PBM gaming, tonight. But, what the Hell? Why not??

Whenever I send out those mass e-mails to the not-so-massive mass of site users that receive them, I tend to monitor the site shortly thereafter. Why? To see how long that it takes for the early bird to get the worm.

Shortly after firing that latest News Alert into the nether void of e-mail cyberspace, along comes site user Hatch. Not long after Hatch takes the bait, what do my eyes behold, with their PBM vision so keen? Dastardly old Greybeard!

OK, so maybe he's not really dastardly, but he beat most of you to the punch - everyone except for Hatch, of course.

And my point is, you might ask?

My point is that sending out e-mails of this type have always clearly revealed to me how relevant - indeed, how critical - it is for someone to be talking about PBM gaming. Whether it's a News Alert e-mail, or whether it's someone publishing a PBM magazine of some kind, some kind of active pursuit of PBM dialogue goes hand-in-hand, I believe, with the success of the PBM industry.

Even when I am not hanging around this place, and even when I seem to be quite content to allow this site to dry up and die, like so many other PBM gaming sites before it, don't assume that I'm never checking up on the place.

If I want this site to live, and to show signs of life, then it is helpful to me to know and to better understand what makes it die.

Of late, a few have begun posting a bit, here in the forums. It attracts my attention. It renews my interest. Isn't that really at the crux of it all, though? If you want to see a new golden age dawn for play by mail gaming, then isn't what we really need to see happen is that there be a perpetual renewal of interest, on the part of interested parties?

Some of the biggest names from PBM's days of yore are registered on this site. How often do they post, though? Maybe there's just nothing here that's of interest to them. Perhaps they had interest, but lost interest. What if they just don't know what to post?

Lee Knirko fought the good fight. Many like him have fought the good fight. The wars of play by mail are seemingly without end. Some have retired from the conflict, while others have stuck it out to the bitter end.

Decades ago, the seers of PBM looked into the future. They foresaw devastation. Today, we walk amongst the remnants of a once great genre of gaming. We walk in the footprints of giants!

God bless Lee Knirko! May the saints march on.
[Image: LeeKnirko.jpg]
Leonard "Lee" Knirko
August 14, 1923 - November 6, 2011

Leonard "Lee" Knirko, age 88, operator of Amateur radio station W9MOL since 1937, beloved husband of Phyllis, nee Cwick; loving father of Corinne (Michael) Sher, Marilyn (Robert) Foster and Carolyn (Thomas) Kallevang; proud grandfather of Kristin (Tim) Schmidt, Lindsay (Aaron) Beverwyk, Ryan, Colin and Megan Foster; special great-grandfather of Annalise, Ian and Gavin Schmidt and Brayden Beverwyk. Member of American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Illinois CPA Society, American Relay Radio League, Quarter Century Wireless Association, Old Old Timers Club.
Lee Knirko was a gentleman, a humorist, a savvy strategist, a nimble negotiator, and an all-around cool guy. I enjoyed the many times we spoke about Starweb and about the bustling world of 1980s play-by-mail.

Seeing his photo truly shocks me. I keep many of the old-timers alive in my imagination, and of course in my imagination they are forever young. I don't like to ponder the passage of decades.

The Righteous Brothers sang about rock 'n roll heaven, and how it's got one hell of a band. Well, in a quieter corner of the hereafter, I believe heaven also has one hell of a play-by-mail game that will continue for eternity. I hope they'll keep a spot for me. (Not that I plan to start playing any time soon.)
Hey GrimFinger - good post.

How about Carol Mulholland? Anyone know how she's going?

Another one of our enduring stars who's light may be fading.
Carol Mulholland's address is on the home page. I'm sure she'd enjoy hearing from an old Flagship contributor.

As for how she's doing: not so well. Her stroke left her partly incapacitated. Speech is difficult. Her son tells me that it's unlikely she'll ever leave the nursing home.
Yes, its a real tragedy. I never met her in person, we only had email contact, the earliest was with her as editor of Flagship was in 1996, though we were in some of the same pbm games in which we role-played, with/against each other, both before and after 1996.
Carol Mulholland's husband, Ken, contracted Alzheimer's and passed away several years ago. He was a real sweet guy, and shouldn't be forgotten, either.

In the "Did You Know?" department, Carol wrote two books about play-by-mail: "Gamesmastership: How to Design and Run a Play-by-Mail Game" (1989) and "Complete Guide to Postal Gaming: How to Play by Mail" (1992). I have them both (presents from Carol) and keep them on the top shelf of my PBM library.

Used copies become available infrequently on eBay. There's one used copy of "Gamesmastership" now for sale on Amazon: $40.56, plus shipping.