Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue #18 - Suspense & Decision PBM magazine
I just sent Raven Zachary a draft copy of his article for Issue #18. No sharing of that article, please!

This draft of his article is the first article created using new software. I've asked him for feedback on what he likes and dislikes. It took a long time, to get this article format figured out, but now, I know a lot more than I did when I first started. I think that this new software holds a lot of promise!
(08-19-2019, 02:57 AM)GrimFinger Wrote: I just sent Raven Zachary a draft copy of his article for Issue #15.

#15 ??
Nah, I meant Issue 18, not Issue 15. Good catch, Davin!
Revised advertisement for Issue #18 sent to Rick McDowell for his review.
Okay, I let the weekend get away from me, and my work stuff has hit hard the past 2 days. I will write an article tonight, if there is still time to submit.
(08-20-2019, 07:05 PM)ixnay Wrote: Okay, I let the weekend get away from me, and my work stuff has hit hard the past 2 days.  I will write an article tonight, if there is still time to submit.

Just write, when you take a notion, and I'll include it, if there's enough time remaining. I'm still fighting software issues, at the moment, not that I managed to get anything done on the magazine, yesterday.
And for those who would both like a preview of issue #18, and an idea of an example of a kind of problem that I have encountered when trying to put Issue #18 together using different software, here I shall kill two birds with one image stone. See attached file.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Rick McDowell, of Alamaze fame, told me in a recent email that he sent to me that he didn't like cartoons. I think that he was referring to the refurbished comic art that I incorporate into issues of Suspense & Decision. What about the rest of you? Should I eliminate that from the magazine? Personally, I've liked comic books, since I was a kid, and I still do. Plus, I can't draw, and I don't have a staff artist, per se, for interior art pieces for the magazine. Additionally, as I told Rick, I do this on a zero budget. Hence, the refurbished artwork holds a certain appeal to me. Granted, my own ability to refurbish such artwork from the public domain, and to modify it to make it useful for inclusion into a PBM magazine of the modern era may well be substantially lacking, as may my wit and my sense of humor. However, I work with what I have, and I try to do it within a budget of zero dollars, so that this project might actually exist. It's not the first time that Rick and I have disagreed on the artistic end of things, be it this magazine or his game of Alamaze. But I could always eliminate it, and save time, as well, if no one likes the refurbished comic art in the guise of a PBM role.
I think that professional artwork looks and attracts much better, but a $0 budget of course means that's out of the question.  I'd rather see something than nothing, and you sure have to fill in the corners with something, so I don't have a problem with the repurposed cartoon art.
(08-21-2019, 09:39 AM)GrimFinger Wrote: Rick McDowell, of Alamaze fame, told me in a recent email that he sent to me that he didn't like cartoons. I think that he was referring to the refurbished comic art that I incorporate into issues of Suspense & Decision. What about the rest of you? Should I eliminate that from the magazine? Personally, I've liked comic books, since I was a kid, and I still do. Plus, I can't draw, and I don't have a staff artist, per se, for interior art pieces for the magazine. Additionally, as I told Rick, I do this on a zero budget. Hence, the refurbished artwork holds a certain appeal to me. Granted, my own ability to refurbish such artwork from the public domain, and to modify it to make it useful for inclusion into a PBM magazine of the modern era may well be substantially lacking, as may my wit and my sense of humor. However, I work with what I have, and I try to do it within a budget of zero dollars, so that this project might actually exist. It's not the first time that Rick and I have disagreed on the artistic end of things, be it this magazine or his game of Alamaze. But I could always eliminate it, and save time, as well, if no one likes the refurbished comic art in the guise of a PBM role.

Having theme is good. Having art is good. Having design embellishments is good. You've got a theme now and it works. I'd stick with it, unless you have a different theme you want to implement instead. I am pro-theme more than I am in favor of a particular theme. Going to an academic journal design would reduce the overall experience.
Raven Zachary in Portland, Oregon, USA. Currently playing: TribeNetSuperNova, KnightGuildMiddle-earthTakamo, and Wraith.