Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lamentations of the Damned: Playing Far Horizons for the very first time
Indeed, our experience with one another is brief. Where Hyborian war is concerned, I don't seek to prove intellectual superiority of anything. My experience, where that game is concerned, is that players tend to believe whatever they want to. There's a lot about that game that remains an unknown to anyone outside of RSI. My basic view on that game is that, once a player understands what a given kingdom is capable of, then it doesn't matter who is one's enemies are, whether they be new to the game or a veteran of many years.

The whole purpose of me playing in this game of Far Horizons: The Awakening (Galaxy Alpha) is so that I can learn how to play the game. In order to do that, I have to learn the order codes. Copying and pasting a SCAN order should work consistently, from turn to turn. Yet, it did not, this turn. Do I find that to be confusing? Very much so?

The rules contained within the current Game Manual are Seventh Edition rules. Thus, those who played the game long before I did evidently saw fit to revise, and re-revise the rules, time and time, again. That the game's rules and order codes are comprehended by some will translate into some being able to play the game. To increase the potential player base of the game, the learning curve needs to be reduced - particularly for those with zero prior experience with the game.

If I understand the rules and the order codes and the required syntax, then it becomes possible for me to help in revising the rulebook for an Eight Edition. If I do not understand them, then I can't assist with such an undertaking.

This diary was an attempt to provide feedback to the game's moderator, with an entertaining spin. I had hoped to utilize it to help him to better understand how a person new to the game approaches the game, and help him to identify potential stumbling blocks. Ixnay started a thread of his own, so of late, I thought that I would attempt to increase the rope play aspect of things - especially since the others in the game had chosen to remain so very quiet.

I have reviewed all of the documentation listed on the website for this game, as far as I know. Some of it I have reviewed more than once. It would be nice to have example turn orders to review. Instead, we have example turn results. Example turn results are useful for generating interest on the part of prospective players. Example turn orders would be useful for comprehending how to actually issue orders correctly. This is why I have mentioned them, previously.

With regard to the gun turrets issue, I comprehend what they are. It would not be uncommon, however, for a player who is new to the game to use the word "turret" to search the game manual with, particularly since that term appears on the turn results, themselves. Yet, it's not in the game manual. Why? What purpose is served by utilization of terms distinct to turn results, but not found in the game manual? Such only serves to increase confusion, not simply for myself, but for new players.

Also, since this was the first time that new specific items were gained by my empire, the game only drained my enthusiasm, when they appeared on my turn results for this turn. It was a net gain for my empire, to be certain, but I didn't particularly care for technology to manifest itself in the game this way, as a matter of game design.

Messages In This Thread
Entry Two - by GrimFinger - 03-21-2011, 01:54 AM
Entry Three - by GrimFinger - 03-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Entry Four - by GrimFinger - 03-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Entry Five - by GrimFinger - 03-23-2011, 12:54 PM
RE: Entry Four - by JonO - 03-30-2011, 01:51 PM
RE: Entry Four - by Ramblurr - 03-30-2011, 01:58 PM
RE: Entry Four - by GrimFinger - 03-30-2011, 03:55 PM
RE: Entry Four - by GrimFinger - 04-03-2011, 05:26 AM
Entry Six - by GrimFinger - 03-23-2011, 03:32 PM
RE: Lamentations of the Damned: Playing Far Horizons for the very first time - by GrimFinger - 04-07-2011, 07:05 AM