Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barriers and Obstacles: Into the Breach of a New Era in Play-By-Mail Gaming
Given my above mini-analysis of the (IMHO) various possible monetization models for games, where does PBM fit into this?

As I alluded to, the days of charging players for rules and "setup packages" is out. The only people who still think that is a viable option in today's market will not attract any gamers under 30. To be frank, these oldtimers are old, and their mindset is entrenched in the traditional pre-digital model. I hope my brief outline of all the other media forms and their struggles over the past decade will convince them that the old model will not survive (if, of course, their goal is to revitalize the PBM-style genre and pull in new players).

I think paying per turn should go as well. A fee per turn made sense in the postal days, because there were legitimate costs per-turn for handling and processing. Now days, the psychology of online consumers is such that there is gut reaction against spending money online. The closet thing to a per-turn fee is a subscription. If you charge 5$ per turn and run a turn every two weeks, charge 10$ a month! Though, I still don't think that would make a terribly successful PBM game.

I keep harping on this, so pardon If I sound like a broken record, but people in many ways are more stingy with their money, and will not part with it unless there is perceived value. This value cannot be obtained by reading rules or a fancy marketing blurb (like ads for old PBMs). They will want to experience the game for themselves and realize the value it holds, only then will they show their appreciation by paying. This stinginess has developed in large part due to the sheer number of online outlets where we could possibly spend our money.

It doesn't pay to go into specifics regarding monetization for general PBM games. Each game needs to be analyzed on a case by case basis, and the correct models applied to. My favorite systems are those where an in-game currency that can be redeemed for perks (better ships, more research, etc). This currency can be bought with real money, but the in game currency can be traded around, so those who don't pay can still receive the perks.

An example of this is EVE online. A player can buy a PLEX (Pilots License EXtension) for ~$15, which can be redeemed in game for a month long subscription. However, the PLEX is a real in game item and can be traded/sold among players. So you have some players who in effect play EVE for free, because their position is such they can trade for PLEX to extend their subscription without paying a dime.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Barriers and Obstacles: Into the Breach of a New Era in Play-By-Mail Gaming - by Ramblurr - 04-01-2011, 05:25 PM