Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New PBM Magazine from PlayByMail.Net
I am torn over whether "PBM" or "TBG" is the better tag for this hobby. PBM has a long history, and while it's not an accurate description for what is now largely taking place via email, it might have more solidity and street cred among the wider "gaming in general" community. And it is, after all, the name of this esteemed web site.

Turn-based gaming seems more accurate, except there are lots of games that are turn-based. Monopoly, for instance. And it says nothing about the nature of communication and contact in this genre. It has merit, but it is as flawed as PBM.

I thought of "Distance Gaming", but that doesn't quite work either. It correctly presents the form as pitting opponents/teammates together from many various locations, but there are many forms of gaming that do the same thing today -- World of Warcraft would count as a "distance game".

"Turn-based Distance Gaming" would be pretty spot-on, but is horribly technical.

In view of such a deadlock, my advice would be to either stick with "PBM" or use some non-specific name that is otherwise vaguely inspired by the genre.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New PBM Magazine from PlayByMail.Net - by ixnay - 09-16-2013, 03:58 PM