Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New PBM Magazine from PlayByMail.Net
Not quite. I get the focus on traditional PBM. But does that exclude, say, Cluster Wars or Far Horizons, which use client software and email respectively to get turns sent back and forth? Some of these games use a web interface to the same effect. The concept is still the same -- turn-based, multiple player, hidden movement, diplomacy, game plays out over time (ie: not in one day), etc., but they are not strictly-speaking PBM.

If this is a magazine that will encompass all the "PBM-likes" out there, just with a special emphasis on traditional PBM, then that's one thing. If it is about Hyborian War and Cruent Dei and Alamaze and that handful of other old-school turn-sheet-and-print-out style of gaming, then that's another.

As per my many posts on this forum, I am highly optimistic about the future of the former, and not so much about the latter. I love it, and I still look over my turn sheets from 20 years ago with fondness. But it's not a realistic channel anymore, as far as newbies are concerned. I would love to contribute to the larger community of "PBM-likes", and would be somewhat less enthusiastic if the scope were limited to just the "PBMs". I love them, but I think an exclusive focus on them would doom any such projects to the present cloistered enclaves.

More practically, if I wrote a "PBM is dead, long live PBM" article that elaborated on (among other things) the PBM-likes, would it be in-scope for your zine?

Messages In This Thread
RE: New PBM Magazine from PlayByMail.Net - by ixnay - 09-13-2013, 06:59 PM