Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Game Design
Since I get a few questions about the design, I thought I would share several of the components -

Core - This is a group of C# programs using Entity Framework and connecting to a SQL Server database.  Core does the setup work for the turns, cycle processing, validation, processing, senior turns, market updates, combat and the emailing of completed turns. 

Maps - This uses an off the shelf free editor - Tiled (https://www.mapeditor.org/). To make this work with our system, we built a C# Windows application (MapSync) that uses the output file from Tiled (in JSON format) and displays it.  You can then save the map into our SQL database.  MapSync allows us to pull the map back from the database, and display it.  You can also change the map Icon set.  We also integrated the map logic into the Core to allow construction projects to update the map in the database as players complete projects.  Next step is to generate the map automatically and update the stored version.

Data Entry - We currently have two methods:
1.  Through the Web site.  We use a WordPress site with a purchased set of tools to allow a fill in the blank form for players to input their turns.  
2.  Through an Excel spreadsheet.  We provide a template you can download from the Web or Discord server.  You create your actions, type them into the Excel spreadsheet (which error checks them) and then you upload the Excel file using the web site.

Reports - are generated through SSRS (a sub-system of SQL Server Database).  I created another C# program that generates the PDF file containing the turn and emails it to the player's email on file through an SMTP service.

Money - is collected through the web site through a PayPal application; but we are looking at other options, such as Stripe.

Messages In This Thread
Game Design - by Talisman - 03-01-2022, 09:46 PM
RE: Game Design - by Talisman - 03-04-2022, 02:10 PM
RE: Game Design - by Talisman - 03-13-2022, 08:45 PM
RE: Game Design - by Talisman - 03-15-2022, 05:54 PM
RE: Game Design - by Talisman - 04-18-2022, 02:09 PM
RE: Game Design - by Talisman - 06-14-2022, 08:19 PM