Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to Organize It All
Greetings All,

There are to two identical players and no single method that is the best to keep track of it all.  I will add to this excellent thread with a few of my own observations;

1) A production spreadsheet can be invaluable and I have created one for that purpose.  However it is also a pain to update so I only use it when my production really needs an overhaul or the first time I set up production on  new world, not a colony.  (been playing along time and know what I am doing but still make mistakes)

2) What I do find important is a spreadsheet of system/planet information.  I spend hours doing data entry to get my turn results into my spreadsheet.  My sheet tracks the following;
system name, planet orbit, planet order, planet type, distance from sun, diameter (I keep hoping it matters), Stellar Phenomena, temp, tilt, gravity, oceans, microbes, pollution, radiation, CSV if I do them, all the yields in a table format so it is easy to see what is there and what is missing.  I also have a column for distance from the HW so I can sort it that way.

3) For each empire I also do a map in excel.  I have used other formats, but my primary is Excel.  I also use mapping as described above but my primary map for a single empire is my excel sheet.

There are a lot of formats that work very well in the beginning but fall apart in the long term.  I know somebody who uses Visio and it is great, until you have explored out to 3 on all directions.  Others similarly fail as you get further out.  I love using findpath and graphviz, but I can't add notations so it is of limited use.  It is by far the best I have seen when combining  multiple empires, but that is a different discussion.

4) I don't find it to be of much value to track when something happened, just that it did.  

5) It uses paper, but I found it best to print out my turn and just make annotations on it as to what I wanted to do.  I think this is the best way to look at it and most all the info is right there.  After a while you can give up the paper and just go from a few notes and your system spreadsheet know that a blank is something to be done.

6) Ship designs are fun and I have a spreadsheet for that too.  

7) I use convoy routes as much as possible. It saves $$, lets me do more stuff beyond the mundane and tends to eliminate mistakes.  I stat using them by turn 3 or 4 if for nothing else to skim and OC fuel.

I have a spreadsheet for about anything.  I am normally willing to share.  However, I find that most folks wind up making their own to suit their own style after seeing others examples

GG

Messages In This Thread
How to Organize It All - by Spiff - 01-01-2020, 01:29 AM
RE: How to Organize It All - by Spiff - 01-01-2020, 01:34 AM
RE: How to Organize It All - by Spiff - 01-01-2020, 01:34 AM
RE: How to Organize It All - by Spiff - 01-01-2020, 09:30 PM
RE: How to Organize It All - by Hobknob - 06-28-2021, 08:12 AM