Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Species Log: Latorsan Nihi - The Coming of the Cosmic Sphere Lords
(05-05-2021, 10:33 PM)Wilks Wrote: I don't know why but I wish to know more about this Benevotocracy Genetica.

Me, too, Wilks, and I'm the one who created it. Because I was dealing with a deadline, I had to come up with a species name, a home planet name, a government name, and a government type. A decade ago, I played an iteration of this very same game, and for that game, I decided to adopt Darkseid from comic book fame as sort of my guiding inspiration for how I would play my empire. This time around, however, I decided to go another route, entirely, and just create an empire from scratch. Thus, this race and its government aren't really fleshed out, yet - with yet being the key word, here.

I wanted something different, and I wanted something that sounded a little different from what one might encounter with the other empires in the game. In fact, I wanted something that didn't exist. Benevotocracy Genetica is the government type, and the Benevo portion is derived from the word "benevolent." The tocracy portion I utilized because many different types of government that we human beings are familiar with end with "ocracy." A few examples of this are democracy, theocracy, autocracy, technocracy, and plutocracy.

Again, I wanted something different, and different sounding, thus why I didn't just stop at Benevotocracy. I wanted to add a little more verbal flair to the name, and Genetica is derived from the word "genetics," which had sort of a scientific flair to it. The letter "a" at the end of the "genetic" portion of the word "genetica" was more or less the verbal icing on the cake of it for me. Once I put it all together as Benevotocracy Genetica, it just sort of struck me as being what I would go with. The letter "a" at the end of genetica sort of reminds me of the old arcade game Galaga, or the not quite as old movie Gattaca. Those didn't really serve as inspiration at the time that I came up with it, but both of those yield a similar verbal flavor that I felt that I achieved with the word genetica.

Genetics, of course, is a branch of biology concerned with the study of genes, genetic variation, and heredity in organisms. These days, genetics and the splicing of DNA are in the news quite a lot. Thus, taken together, Benevotocracy Genetica implies a type of government that through genetic tinkering has yielded a better, more benevolent form of government.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Species Log: Latorsan Nihi - The Coming of the Cosmic Sphere Lords - by GrimFinger - 05-06-2021, 10:24 AM