Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to Organize It All
Finally, you may like having a map of worlds you've discovered. It isn't essential - you can get all the info from the kind of Exploration spreadsheet described in the first post - but it can be easier to read. And maps are cool.

Many SN players map with a couple programs. The first, SNFindPath (see the link in the first post), calculates the fuel needed for multi-step jumps across systems. It is NOT essential for play (especially early on), so don't feel obligated to use it. But if you do, you can use a second program, Graphviz, to generate a map, then viewing it with a third program (in this thread, Hobknob explains the steps and uses ZGRViewer to view it). There are alternative viewers, including a web-based one, Webgraphviz. I haven't used any of these.

The maps they make are simple, and as Hobknob explains, they don't include planets, and when you update it for a new turn, the positions of star systems may change. Here's a sample Graphviz map (not from SN):
[Image: fetch.php?tok=80a046&media=http%3A%2F%2F...2Fdotb.png]

An alternative is draw your own map. I started with Keynote (Mac's Powerpoint), with an overall map like this
[Image: Keynote-map-2.png]

and system maps like this

[Image: Keynote-map-1.png]

But as my empire grew, it became easier to keep one overall map, with simpler lines. I like Raven's example from OmniGraffle
(used with permission, also with fictional system info):

[Image: example-omnigraffle.png]

I used the free program Draw.io (which works great) to do a variation. Note that I don't include suns or ships in mine, at least not yet.

[Image: SN-Drawio-map-sample.png]
If you like mapping, you can have good fun with it in SuperNova. If not, you can try the SNFindPath/ Graphviz combination, or you could skip mapping and just refer to the information listed for the above Exploration sheet.

Messages In This Thread
How to Organize It All - by Spiff - 01-01-2020, 01:29 AM
RE: How to Organize It All - by Spiff - 01-01-2020, 01:34 AM
RE: How to Organize It All - by Spiff - 01-01-2020, 01:34 AM
RE: How to Organize It All - by Spiff - 01-01-2020, 09:30 PM
RE: How to Organize It All - by Hobknob - 06-28-2021, 08:12 AM