Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opening the floodgates of play by mail
(08-28-2019, 06:56 PM)Undeadlord Wrote: A flat fee for monthly access to all the games is very appealing. $5.00 seems fair for now, but as you have more games come online, $7.00 or $10.00 doesn't seem off the rails either.

I think that's reasonable, too, but I think I'd rather keep it as inexpensive as is feasible -- the players deserve it.  For the time being, I'm still offering a year's free play after the first paid month, just to get people to try it out, so they're getting 13 whole months of fun for that first $5.

(08-28-2019, 06:56 PM)Undeadlord Wrote: I feel like "back in the day" when everything was done by hand, $5.00 a turn didn't seem bad, or even $7.00 or $8.00 a turn. However, nowadays, I assume, maybe incorrectly, that most game backend is done with a computer. So then I am trying to wrap my head around why someone wants $7.00 a turn to process some spreadsheets. I am sure it's not that easy, but its where my mind goes.

In the old days, printing and mailing were significant hard expenses, and time to enter and process needed valuing, too.  In those days, $5-$10 a turn was pretty common for good reason.  But even with computers handling the details, most games seemed to also involve a lot of personal GM attention (writing up descriptions, for instance).  So extra time means extra bucks if you're going to get any income at all from it.  Even just collecting spreadsheets and processing them and returning the results takes effort.

Even when it's all front-to-end automated (such as Galac-Tac is now) some people still feel a need to recoup some of their development time.  I've just given up on that part of it and do the programming for the fun of it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Opening the floodgates of play by mail - by Davin - 08-28-2019, 07:47 PM