Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opening the floodgates of play by mail
(08-28-2019, 02:41 PM)hooper82 Wrote: I've been thinking about this for a while, and I'm not sure what the best way to express it is. But I think its important to figure out.
How do you define a PBM game? I came up with:
* Turn Based
* Long-lead-time between turns
* Multiplayer (usually)
* Depth (usually)

Obviously, there's a hint in the name. But look at many of the games advertised in Suspense & Decision #18. Correct me if I'm wrong but many of those don't require the usage of Mail or Email? Rinzai talked about Face-to-Face PBM gaming, so clearly a Mail-Based interface isn't important.

What defines a PBM game for you?

I am somewhat pressed for time, at the moment, but with regards to games advertised in various issues of Suspense & Decision magazine, many different games have been advertised in the pages thereof, including a number of board games. The coverage of the magazine isn't limited to just and only PBM games, because PBM gamers typically enjoy other kinds of games, too. The magazine's primary focus, however, and the inspiration for its creation and existence is PBM games, and not other game types.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Opening the floodgates of play by mail - by GrimFinger - 08-28-2019, 02:46 PM