Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cohorts - a new kid on the block
I'll give you a tiny bit of feedback right now, not having seen anything yet. Make it work on a web site.

I understand the lure of using a stable efficient platform to leverage your best development skills. But you're already cutting off the bulk of your intended audience. I suppose your best angle would be to make it available as a PC game through Steam, but those are generally PC gamers who are looking for the standard PC gaming fix.

Your approach has been used by the folks doing Cluster Wars -- they did it in MS Access, so you have to install their client, which handles data-synchs behind the scenes. But it's not been perfectly seamless -- people have to stay patched with the latest version, there are problems with different computers, and there are some built-in limitations to Access as a platform for interactive interfaces. They are likely sticking with that approach, but you might want to chat with them to see if they have any advice. (I am going to interview them for the next issue of S&D, so maybe just wait for that.)

Speaking for myself, I am reluctant to install applications locally unless there is some reputable company behind it. If you publish as a web app, you skip all these problems. Perhaps more importantly, people will be able to play on their phone.

Messages In This Thread
Cohorts - a new kid on the block - by Angerak - 09-01-2016, 07:02 PM
RE: Cohorts - a new kid on the block - by ixnay - 09-01-2016, 07:50 PM
RE: Cohorts - a new kid on the block - by Angerak - 09-01-2016, 08:37 PM
RE: Cohorts - a new kid on the block - by Angerak - 09-02-2016, 06:21 PM
RE: Cohorts - a new kid on the block - by Angerak - 09-02-2016, 06:35 PM
RE: Cohorts - a new kid on the block - by ixnay - 09-02-2016, 08:45 PM
RE: Cohorts - a new kid on the block - by Angerak - 09-02-2016, 09:11 PM
RE: Cohorts - a new kid on the block - by ixnay - 09-06-2016, 12:21 PM
RE: Cohorts - a new kid on the block - by Angerak - 09-06-2016, 12:47 PM