Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Crumbling Cookie of Play By Mail
(08-30-2011, 08:41 PM)vanollefen Wrote: Now comes smartphones. All the would be PBM moderators are trying to come up with the next Angry Birds (note - never tried it, never will, or any smartphone game for that matter).

These modern day communicator devices, to borrow a term from the old Star Trek television series, are workhorses of convenience, to be certain. I went back to using my old cell phone, and gave up the one that I had that had touch screen capability and Internet access. I haven't used one of the latest generation smart phones, though.

One of my sisters uses Facebook, a lot. For her, it's a multi-faceted tool of convenience, I'm sure. Each format and medium offers its own approach to convenience, however. Play by mail was the same way, in its own ways.

As the novelty wears off each new medium, it will be interesting to see how it all pans out, and what new mediums come into existence to replace them. Electronic book readers are delivering reading of books through a mechanism not so very different from what pre-existed them. Instead of a single book in one's hand, now one can carry a library of books in their hand. But, they still hold it and read the print, just as with consuming the pages of text printed on books in paper format. Can electronic book readers be used to play games, I wonder?

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Crumbling Cookie of Play By Mail - by GrimFinger - 09-01-2011, 12:28 PM