Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Crumbling Cookie of Play By Mail
I agree with Vanolleten. Everything has to be super-fast today, both to keep the interest of players and to make it possible for GMs to make a living, however modest. I have never enjoyed PBM that is based on fast turnaround, nor games that have a limited number of simple closed-ended choices in a system of short-deadline turns that if you are late ends your game because you are weak and attacked. Nor have I ever been interested in "winning", or coming high on the list of players in terms of "points" or indeed in terms of anything.

My ideal game is one where I can be left alone to cultivate my position in a rich in-depth environment, with open-ended choices to make. I also like to take my time and relish my turns, so that I can consider a range of alternative responses to any situation. So the turns should have no deadlines. It also gives me the basic environment where it is possible "sub-create" a gaming position. I like to envisage my environment and also to write about it. Finally, to work in a game scenario where I can't be attacked and overwhelmed, if necessary in a permanent "King's Peace".

Today it is unrealistic to expect all this from PBM. The alternatives are solo gaming or mass online games in which there is a decent chance of not being knocked out by players or creatures.

Of course, if someone does start a PBM which manages to make this possible, I will seriously consider playing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Crumbling Cookie of Play By Mail - by Greybeard - 08-31-2011, 07:41 AM