Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Play By Mail Gaming Survive the Devouring Hand of Time?
(05-24-2011, 12:38 AM)JonO Wrote: As I said, I have no problem being disagreed with in a respectful manner. However, simply saying, "You're wrong, and here's the way things are," is not respectful, especially if you are talking to me, or Casey or Sean. It's like a virgin explaining sex to a whore.

Well, not everyone always agrees on what is or is not respectful, and sometimes, individuals take offense where none is intended. My views on public discussions, and the accompanying maelstrom of public debate which inevitably ensues, have been substantially impacted by many prior years of study of constitutional law.

In the course of members of the general public interacting with one another, in the form of online discussion forums, individuals and groups will not always agree with one another. At times, people get their feelings hurt. I encourage broad discussion across a broad spectrum of topics, with the primary focus being on things related to the PBM genre of gaming.

I don't - and can't - guarantee that opinions will always be in agreement. There may very well be sharp differences, and pointed or even heated discussions, at times. It's the nature of the beast which is online discussion forums. In no instance, is anyone required to share the opinion of anyone else.

In the marketplace of ideas, the ideas compete. Each idea or train of thought can have one or more champions, if it can find them and persuade them to become advocates for such ideas and trains of thought.

If you want someone to share your opinion, then you are free to try and persuade them to embrace your views. Failing that, others are free to hold other opinions, to disagree at their leisure and discretion, and even to criticize opinions which they disagree with.

The discussions in the forum here are informal discussions. Site users can post on a whim, or simply browse without posting, or don the mantle of Devil's advocate. In no instance, whatsoever, are they under any requirement to share any given opinion posted by anyone else here, including the opinions of myself, as administrator, or anyone else.

No one holds a monopoly on opinion, including site administrators, or novices to the hobby of play by mail, or programmers of many years experience with programming.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can Play By Mail Gaming Survive the Devouring Hand of Time? - by GrimFinger - 05-24-2011, 01:04 AM