Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SuperNova: Rise of the Empire
SuperNova:Rise of the Empire is an interactive game of galactic conquest, colonization and exploration. As a player, you choose your own objectives, interact with players from around the world and control your own destiny. You will construct mighty warfleets, colonize entire worlds and explore the galaxy in search of the unknown. You'll encounter a playing area of incredible diversity and flexibility with a complete space fantasy environment featuring detailed planets, diverse lifeforms and numerous unknown elements just waiting to be discovered.
Raven Zachary in Portland, Oregon, USA. Currently playing: TribeNetSuperNova, KnightGuildMiddle-earthTakamo, and Wraith.
Can you post any sample turn results? How active is this game? Are all the players in one game universe? Are there factions and politics?
(08-15-2019, 02:49 PM)ixnay Wrote: Can you post any sample turn results?  How active is this game?  Are all the players in one game universe?  Are there factions and politics?

I've emailed the GM for a sample turn that is not my own, as people tend to be secretive about the details (including locations) of their empires. Once I get that, I will post it here and on the PBM Wiki as I start to assemble a library of sample turns from various games.

The Draco Galaxy game (the only one accepting new players currently) is estimated to be 100+ players and somewhere between 150-200 empires. Many players, including myself, play two empires. The Andromeda Galaxy game started over a decade ago and is closed to new players. That game has a slightly smaller group of players as it's now a war of attrition and survival vs. the established empires. I am not in that game, as I only joined the game 14 months ago.

Factions, somewhat. Politics, somewhat, but it's really a 4x game (explore, expand, exploit, exterminate). There is an alliance function in the game rules, and you can jointly colonize the same systems and/or planets and do trading with allies.

It can take 18-24 months to run into a another player in the game. Space is big. I am 14 months into the game and haven't run into another player yet. We have a new players online group to help each other, but no one on that group has run into another player yet, either. We will.

Turn results are long – 20-30 pages. After reading over the results, it's best to have a series of spreadsheets to track various aspects of the game and copy data into (systems, colonies, fleets, technology, etc.).
Raven Zachary in Portland, Oregon, USA. Currently playing: TribeNetSuperNova, KnightGuildMiddle-earthTakamo, and Wraith.
Care to write an article about your experiences, for S&D? Or perhaps to be interviewed by me, for said article?
(08-15-2019, 06:23 PM)ixnay Wrote: Care to write an article about your experiences, for S&D?  Or perhaps to be interviewed by me, for said article?

He already has an article in for Issue #18, but we could certainly include one about SuperNova in the following issue.

You got your article wrote for Issue #18, yet, Bernd? Chop! Chop!
(08-15-2019, 06:44 PM)GrimFinger Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 06:23 PM)ixnay Wrote: Care to write an article about your experiences, for S&D?  Or perhaps to be interviewed by me, for said article?

He already has an article in for Issue #18, but we could certainly include one about SuperNova in the following issue.

You got your article wrote for Issue #18, yet, Bernd? Chop! Chop!

I believe that Dan Newman is going to write a SuperNova review for Issue #19. Stay tuned.
(08-15-2019, 08:27 PM)Rinzai Wrote: I believe that Dan Newman is going to write a SuperNova review for Issue #19. Stay tuned.

He has already e-mailed me.
I know that Raven plays this and loves it. Any other voices?
Currently playing TribeNet, Far Horizons, Galac-tac, Supernova, The Isles and Dungeonworld.
The most popular PBM game type during the 1980 and 1990s was strategic space 4x. There were dozens and dozens of these games. Now, there are basically two: SuperNova and Takamo. These are also both open-ended games. You play until you are eliminated or until you drop out.

There are other space games, but no others that would be classified as strategic space 4x. There are tactical space games like Galac-Tac, Starweb, Galactic Conflict, Mobius I, Riftlords, Spaceplan, Star Chase, Star Fleet Warlord, and Stellar Conflict. There are two space opera games - Phoenix: Beyond the Stellar Empire and Regime Change.

SuperNova and Takamo are both fun games but they suffer from opposite problems - SuperNova takes too long to encounter other players and in Takamo, the galaxy is overcrowded. Yet, I play them both and enjoy the experiences.

Both games require a lot of spreadsheets and mapping. If that excites you, you’ll like these games. If you don’t, but still love space as a theme, try one of the tactical or space opera games listed above.

I will be playing SuperNova for decades to come. Takamo, I am not as certain of.

If you asked me to pick a single PBM to keep playing and drop the rest, I am going to have a hard time picking between Middle-earth, TribeNet, and SuperNova. Those are the three I personally get the most reward from.
(05-23-2021, 08:47 PM)ravenzachary Wrote: There are tactical space games like Galac-Tac, Starweb, Galactic Conflict, Mobius I, Riftlords, Spaceplan, Star Chase, Star Fleet Warlord, and Stellar Conflict.

Actually, Galac-Tac is probably closer to strategic in nature rather than purely tactical, as you don't have direct control over things like combat maneuvers. It's organized more along the lines of fleet organization (offensive and defensive) and territorial acquisitions (including informal diplomacy) .