Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
War of Wizards
War of Wizards is an fantasy strategy game involving wizards raising armies, managing resources and researching magic. As a player you can: send heroes exploring towers, caves & graveyards, build armies and send them out to conquer your enemies, research the magic arts in areas ranging from Necromancy to Druidic, construct towns, defences & buildings such as Sages Guilds, Taverns, Ship Yards and Beast Pits, feed peasants generously or enslave them. Basically you can do as you wish.

The only restriction is surviving the onslaught of other wizards with similar megalomaniacal intentions. Diplomacy is the key, conversing with other wizards to trade resources, forge alliances and backstab others.

- 16 different races to play
- Over 300 unit types to recruit, summon or hire
- Over 20 hero types
- 10 branches of magic to research giving access to 65 spells
- 43 building types
- Hundreds of wandering monsters to fight and special places to explore

WoW has run as a PBeM game since 1995 and has constantly evolved over this period. We are currently running a crowd funding campaign to launch an updated version. Visit http://pozi.be/warofwizards to get access to this new version from as little as $5. Full website for the game can be found at www.warofwizards.com
This reads a lot like the Master of Magic computer game. If you had any exposure to it, how would you compare them?

How much does a turn cost?
Read the article in issue 7 of Suspense & Decision (this most recent issue) -- it is very similar to MOM, though not intentionally derivative. It was made using the best approach possible in my opinion -- make the game that you yourself wish you could play right now.
(06-06-2014, 04:05 PM)kwll Wrote: This reads a lot like the Master of Magic computer game. If you had any exposure to it, how would you compare them?

As I mentioned in Issue #7 of Suspense & Decision, War of Wizards and Masters of Magic are similar in many aspects (although we came to the design independently). There is the same base of managing resources, building (cities and units), expanding and conquering whilst researching magic streams in parallel which gives access to spells. Heroes play an important part in the game by leading armies, exploring special places, using artefacts and casting spells in battle.

The multi-plane map is another similarity with game taking place at ground level, in the underworld and on the Astral Plane.

We haven't run commercial games for a while but it was $2 per turn. We are currently running a crowd funding campaign to build a graphical user interface for the underlying PBeM Game. The rewards associated with this will let players have multiple free games (from pledges of just $5). Beyond just the money to outsource development of a GUI, this is a fantastic opportunity to bring some new people into the WoW Community. The campaign is based at http://pozi.be/warofwizards

Thanks for your interest in the WoW project!

(06-06-2014, 05:14 PM)ixnay Wrote: Read the article in issue 7 of Suspense & Decision (this most recent issue) -- it is very similar to MOM, though not intentionally derivative. It was made using the best approach possible in my opinion -- make the game that you yourself wish you could play right now.

I couldn't agree more. That was the theory back then when it came to designing the original game (and the basis for many of the improvements since).

The theory also holds for the Graphical User Interface we're trying to get built at the moment. As addicted as I was to PBeMs in the 90's, I can't see myself sitting down a typing pages of text orders these days but the games I still play are basically turn based where I am on the iPhone in spare moments refining orders on a web interface. I would love a fantasy strategy game I could tinker with during a few mins down time here and there. Do you know of any other games out there at the moment which fit that category?
"I would love a fantasy strategy game I could tinker with during a few mins down time here and there. Do you know of any other games out there at the moment which fit that category?"

You might look at Dragonlords:
http://www.lords-of-conquest.com/dragon/index.html

It is fantasy race based diplomacy and strategy.

N.B. I confess to being the GM of this and other AEGgames scenarios
(06-06-2014, 10:27 PM)harry_wow Wrote: [quote='kwll' pid='3436' dateline='1402070703']
This reads a lot like the Master of Magic computer game. If you had any exposure to it, how would you compare them?

As I mentioned in Issue #7 of Suspense & Decision, War of Wizards and Masters of Magic are similar in many aspects (although we came to the design independently). There is the same base of managing resources, building (cities and units), expanding and conquering whilst researching magic streams in parallel which gives access to spells. Heroes play an important part in the game by leading armies, exploring special places, using artefacts and casting spells in battle.

The multi-plane map is another similarity with game taking place at ground level, in the underworld and on the Astral Plane.

We haven't run commercial games for a while but it was $2 per turn. We are currently running a crowd funding campaign to build a graphical user interface for the underlying PBeM Game. The rewards associated with this will let players have multiple free games (from pledges of just $5). Beyond just the money to outsource development of a GUI, this is a fantastic opportunity to bring some new people into the WoW Community. The campaign is based at http://pozi.be/warofwizards

Thanks for your interest in the WoW project!

(06-06-2014, 05:14 PM)ixnay Wrote: Read the article in issue 7 of Suspense & Decision (this most recent issue) -- it is very similar to MOM, though not intentionally derivative. It was made using the best approach possible in my opinion -- make the game that you yourself wish you could play right now.

Although MOM for me (for a long time) meant "Mail-Order Monsters" a C64 game that required a joystick. You pick a monster chassis, add weapons and other options, and then fight other players or the computer, and if you win, you got points for further upgrades. I still have my C64 and the game in a box somewhere...