Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The PBM name
I think the term PBM is still valid and useful to a reasonable extent, but for those looking to get away from the "mail" part of the equation, what does anyone think about Play-by-Turn?
(11-03-2015, 05:54 PM)Davin Wrote: I think the term PBM is still valid and useful to a reasonable extent, but for those looking to get away from the "mail" part of the equation, what does anyone think about Play-by-Turn?

It also describes hopscotch, which you don't play by mail, so not very useful - and entirely useless in encapsulating the appeal of the "industry" to newcomers, of which, admittedly, there are few. Even though the term "play by mail" is like dragging your 8-track player to an iTunes party, it's here to stay.
(11-04-2015, 12:49 PM)BobMcLain Wrote: It also describes hopscotch, which you don't play by mail, so not very useful - and entirely useless in encapsulating the appeal of the "industry" to newcomers, of which, admittedly, there are few. Even though the term "play by mail" is like dragging your 8-track player to an iTunes party, it's here to stay.

Oh, I don't think that we're getting away from the PBM term anytime in the foreseeable future, and I don't see a tremendous need to, but I do acknowledge that some younger people fear the term "mail" and run away before they have a chance to be newcomers and find out what it's about.

I just thought I'd chime in with a random thought to contribute to those on that side of the discussion.  After all, the term "turn" isn't meaningless when there's hardly a modern-day computer game out there with "turns", and that's nearly all the gaming most of these people play.
I've just posted in my Drakensang thread, how the game is not turn based. Its an environment. Has its disadvantages but also its advantages.