Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tribe Net rebooted
After 14 years the Tribe Net V1 has concluded. But no time for the GM to relax, Tribe Net TN2 has kicked off. Anyone interested in seeing some FAQS might like to get in touch with Peter:

pelagoria@yahoo.com

cheers peter

Can you tell us a bit about Tribe Net, Peter? Is there a website for it?
I played Tribenet for several years and found it to be a great game (with a few grumbles). Very rarely did I ever see an error in my turn and Peter was/is an excellent gm.

I will let Peter describe his latest revision of tribenet if Pelagoria is the current continent. When I left tribenet (another player handed me my lunch as in destroyed my clan) I was playing in Mangalia and Pelagoria I believe was a continent set up by Peter that was a streamlined version of Mangalia. So wasn't interested in what I considered a waterdowned version of the original, but there were a few players that was happy with that version of the game and indeed played both.

My major grumble was that part of the game that allowed for research. I fully embraced a set research tree, but players were given the opportunity to research just about anything they could think of as long as it fit within the time period of the game (just short of gunpowder I believe), of which I participated in doing. While the game map was large and new players would be set up relatively far from the more established players, unless asked to be set up next to one, the gap in research between new players and those that had been playing several years was or could be quite large. Again, I didn't have a problem with the 'normal' tech tree advances as one could catch up over time with the distance one could put between established clans and yours. The problem was with the 'exotic' research some players game up with. Those research advantages usually gave those older established tribes big advanatages in intelligence etc over the younger tribes who are working hard just to gain the technology so they can make iron and then steel or agriculture etc. I would have preferred to see a fixed tech tree and as players eventually researched those fixed techs, then the players would be tested via their diplomacy, tactics and strategy.

However, having said all that, I would consider playing the game again if I was able to get in from the ground floor. I found it that good.
(04-25-2011, 02:46 AM)GrimFinger Wrote: Can you tell us a bit about Tribe Net, Peter? Is there a website for it?

Hi Grim,
There is no website at this stage though there are developments in this direction.

Tribe Net is a turn based, multiplayer PBEM strategy game that I have been running since 1997 but had its roots about 10 years earlier. It is an open-ended game of diplomacy, build, trade and war set in the richly detailed world. Tribe Net is not restricted to a particular historical or cultural period (for example, from the outset you have Stone Axes alongside Iron Breast Plates) though it is grounded in the historical stages of Europe and Asia starting from Stone Age, through the Roman period, and into C18 Europe. You control the fate and fortune of what initially is a Clan of nomads as they try to carve out an Empire. The central elements of Tribe Net are strategic thinking and positioning, tactical planning, political alliance and military and economic development. This seems fairly standard stuff nowadays - but the origins of Tribe Net are in the late 80's and thus the game is a ground breaker in the genre.

If you have played Civilisation and Diplomacy you will get something of the idea of Tribe Net by combining some of the central elements of these games. Tribe Net is neither a pure build game, nor is it a war game, it is somewhere between. By straddling the line between building and war gaming, Tribe Net allows a range of choices about what to do with one's Tribe and how to approach the game (and other players) that are not available in either straight building games or straight war games.

Straight war games have the war going on when you start, or you are constrained by geographical factors (for example, Diplomacy). This means that the reasons for political tensions or war are often imposed rather than stemming from your own interests and motivations or your failure to negotiate your way out of trouble.

I could go on - but if your interest has been aroused try
pelagoria@yahoo.com
as the next step.

cheers peter

Grim, While Peter doesn't have an active website, you might want to consider adding tribenet to the list of PBM companies. So far two turns down and turn 3 due June 3rd. The games off to a good start with ~ 35 - 40 players or so. Tribenet has been running for many many years and has a stable gm and a history of continous play. No reason not to be listed.

I've just researched adminstration 1 and weapons 1, yohoo, I'm on my way baby!