Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Player's perspective after a year of playing
Imagine a game where players can participate for literally decades, building up a Clan of tribes in a barbarian fantasy world.

These clans can hunt, build, trade, fight and grow. They can farm, sail, mine, ambush other traders and show off artistic skills at the biannual fair. They can explore, scout, spy, brew ale and develop large alliances with other clans. They can build up towns and ports. They can lay siege to their enemy's towns and ports in order to claim the spoils within. They can choose to run or fight the roaming cannibal tribes, or perhaps descend into madness by joining with them and going on to terrorise the land.

TribeNet is that game.

Once a fortnight, players submit orders via email to the GM and receive their results a few days later to learn how they fared. Did the new goldmine produce? Did the enemy overrun our scouting party? Did the attack go our way? Did we lose thousands of goats because we forgot to herd them? Did we discover vast new areas of land to expand and trade? Did the new research complete successfully, opening up new avenues of production and wealth? Did the ship building complete, allowing us to cross the ocean to the new trading opportunities available? Did the harvest come in? Did the refineries produce the metals we needed to build the swords to counter the imminent invasion? Did the hospital get built to reduce the casualties if not? How are the stone wall defences coming along? Will the allies get here in time?

TribeNet is a 4x (explore, exploit, expand, exterminate) open-ended Play By Email (PBeM) game which began in the late 1980s, following in the footsteps of the Play By Mail (PBM) game boom of that decade. The game and its rulebook have been in continual development since the start, supporting new players and old alike. Players may even submit ideas for game enhancements in the form of ‘research’, ensuring the game can continually offer new skills, avenues to explore and other ways to keep the game fresh for long time players.

New players are always welcome and are thoroughly supported by the existing player base. They are given safe spaces to learn and grow and make their way in the land.

Emphasis in the game is on the management of the clan and its constituent tribes. Where to go, what to do, which skills to develop, whether to fight or trade or build, or all of the above. Because you share the world with other players, diplomacy is a part of the game, and this provides some limited opportunity for role-play (but overall, role-play is not a major part of the game).

I have been playing the game for a year now, and have thoroughly enjoyed myself, developing the clan and its capabilities, exploring the terrain and resources and locating nearby tribes to trade with.

Many players use the TribeNet Discord to discuss the finer points of the rules (and hurl insults) and I found this a great forum to learn the ropes in the early days. It has a great community spirit and is often very entertaining. The players also produce a magazine published every two weeks providing further opportunities to share stories, rumours, jokes, tips, and of course, hurl abuse.

TribeNet is a great introduction to Play By Mail, and has managed to attract and keep players entertained for decades! Come and join in the fun! I can completely recommend this game.
Currently playing TribeNet, Far Horizons, Galac-tac, Supernova, The Isles and Dungeonworld.
(06-27-2021, 08:15 PM)Fungus Imagine a game where players can participate for literally decades, building up a Clan of tribes in a barbarian fantasy world. Wrote: "I have been playing TribeNet for several decades, after playing the precursor, Terra II, from the late 80's.

This is a fairly unique game in the age of Instant Gratification console games, as it progresses at a slower pace, and allows plenty of time between "ticks", or "turns", to contact/communicate/plot/with other players around the globe, and conduct diplomacy or espionage on a level far deeper than is currently possible with most games.

The game system, itself, is currently undergoing a modernization, which only promises better game play to come, but even in it's current state it is solid.

I highly recommend TribeNet to any old-school or newer gamer who is looking for a more in-depth gaming experience.

These clans can hunt, build, trade, fight and grow. They can farm, sail, mine, ambush other traders and show off artistic skills at the biannual fair. They can explore, scout, spy, brew ale and develop large alliances with other clans. They can build up towns and ports. They can lay siege to their enemy's towns and ports in order to claim the spoils within. They can choose to run or fight the roaming cannibal tribes, or perhaps descend into madness by joining with them and going on to terrorise the land.

TribeNet is that game.

Once a fortnight, players submit orders via email to the GM and receive their results a few days later to learn how they fared. Did the new goldmine produce? Did the enemy overrun our scouting party? Did the attack go our way? Did we lose thousands of goats because we forgot to herd them? Did we discover vast new areas of land to expand and trade? Did the new research complete successfully, opening up new avenues of production and wealth? Did the ship building complete, allowing us to cross the ocean to the new trading opportunities available? Did the harvest come in? Did the refineries produce the metals we needed to build the swords to counter the imminent invasion? Did the hospital get built to reduce the casualties if not? How are the stone wall defences coming along? Will the allies get here in time?

TribeNet is a 4x (explore, exploit, expand, exterminate) open-ended Play By Email (PBeM) game which began in the late 1980s, following in the footsteps of the Play By Mail (PBM) game boom of that decade. The game and its rulebook have been in continual development since the start, supporting new players and old alike. Players may even submit ideas for game enhancements in the form of ‘research’, ensuring the game can continually offer new skills, avenues to explore and other ways to keep the game fresh for long time players.

New players are always welcome and are thoroughly supported by the existing player base. They are given safe spaces to learn and grow and make their way in the land.

Emphasis in the game is on the management of the clan and its constituent tribes. Where to go, what to do, which skills to develop, whether to fight or trade or build, or all of the above. Because you share the world with other players, diplomacy is a part of the game, and this provides some limited opportunity for role-play (but overall, role-play is not a major part of the game).

I have been playing the game for a year now, and have thoroughly enjoyed myself, developing the clan and its capabilities, exploring the terrain and resources and locating nearby tribes to trade with.

Many players use the TribeNet Discord to discuss the finer points of the rules (and hurl insults) and I found this a great forum to learn the ropes in the early days. It has a great community spirit and is often very entertaining. The players also produce a magazine published every two weeks providing further opportunities to share stories, rumours, jokes, tips, and of course, hurl abuse.

TribeNet is a great introduction to Play By Mail, and has managed to attract and keep players entertained for decades! Come and join in the fun! I can completely recommend this game.
I love being described as a Junior member.