Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need help
I am a old hand a PBM. Played in several PBM's in the 80's. I'm looking for games that are country building/war types. From 1800's on. Please help me. it seems most games are out of business.
(07-03-2014, 02:48 PM)TEC9Man Wrote: I am a old hand a PBM. Played in several PBM's in the 80's. I'm looking for games that are country building/war types. From 1800's on. Please help me. it seems most games are out of business.

Hyborian War is "country building," if by that you mean growing the size of your countries by way of conquering provinces. If you could elaborate on what you mean by country building. Kingdom set-up reports for it can be found available for free download at GrimFinger.Net. Lots of material to browse, before you decide on what to play.

Rolling Thunder Games has Victory! The Battle for Europe. I suspect that games of it don't start frequently, though, but it's still around. I've never played it, so I can't speak to the game's finer points.

Flying Buffalo offers Battle Plan. Again, I've never played it. There's also World Wide Battle Plan, and the map for it is found here.

Alamaze is a war game, albeit in a fantasy setting. There are different kinds of Alamaze games, as a heads up.

Cruenti Dei is a war game, of sorts, but I think that it's pretty heavy on the role playing side of things, also.

Clash of Legends is a war game. It's also free to play. It has more than one variant that you can play.

Middle-earth PBM is also still kicking. It offers several variants.

There are various space war games out there, but they aren't country building so much as empire building.

A lot of the PBM games of old that remain no longer use postal service to play, although some use both postal and electronic service to play.
Like GrimFinger said, there are many ways that "country building" could be interpreted. I run one of those empire-building space games he mentioned, called Galac-Tac, at <www.talisman-games.com>, if you're interested in that sort of 4X-style game. It started as a traditional PBM game in 1982 and now it runs (with the same paper-style commands and reports and deadlines) over the web. More information is available upon request, at the website, or in various S&D magazine articles & ads.
Hi TEC9Man, Welcome to the site.

There is also a Napoleon era game out called Empires at War 1805, if I remember correctly and of course there is Suspense and Decision magazine that might point you in the right direction. Agema pbm has Glory of Kings also which is set in the 18th century and from which you can play any country and/or personality of the period and a game called Scramble for Empire, which places you in control of a European nation in the mid to late 19th century which deals primarily with the colonization of the world by the European powers. Both, in fact all the Agema games I've played have very good quality, very good gm and are very competitive. Takamo is also an empire building space game and it's free to play, if you want to give it a try. Fallen Empires is another, which is set in a fantasy world similar to Tribes of Crane they say. So, with what has been mentioned in the above replys, there should be something that might fit your taste.

Again welcome and don't be a stranger.
Thank you Nazareth, welcome TEC9man - if its PBM you are looking for you've come to the right place. I normally try to avoid writing for EaW all over the forum when someone asks, since anyone can find our game on their own if they so wish, but what you are seeking pictures EaW to a significant extend. You can read more about the game in our presentation here

http://playbymail.net/mybb/showthread.php?tid=820

Or check our preview video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvHulyQV5e8

It is a country-building/politics/trading/warfare type set in the Napoleonic Era, but will not remind you much of 1980s PBMs, no pen and paper or entry sheets, only a graphical user interface to place your orders. Turnaround is usually twice per week nowdays, although some players prefer weekly. Turns can be done in 20 minutes or less once you get the hang of it, but some players tend to spend a lot more time than this communicating between them, so its really up to you how deep you want to go. If you wish to learn more please contact us at support@eaw1805.com or simply open up an account with us and start playing Smile
If you're going to check out Empires at War 1805, then be sure to check out their scenarios page:

http://www.eaw1805.com/scenario/list
(07-03-2014, 02:48 PM)TEC9Man Wrote: I am a old hand a PBM. Played in several PBM's in the 80's. I'm looking for games that are country building/war types. From 1800's on. Please help me. it seems most games are out of business.

I imagine World Wide Battle Plan is exactly the sort of thing you are looking for. Flying Buffalo is still here and running games!

Check out www.flyingbuffalo.com/battplan.htm

Rick Loomis