Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Empires at War 1805
Dear all,

I hereby copy the review of Empires at War from Suspence & Decision Magazine, along with some screenshots and the preview video. Feel free to use this thread for any questions you might have about the game, or contact us directly at support@eaw1805.com

Happy Campaigning Smile

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Gamer,

Do you remember your first board-game? Did you spend the whole night to read the rule booklet? What about next day’s rush to gather your friends!? And the first time you rolled a die? Gee, I wish I was luckier! I’m sure the excitement is still the same every time you lay your “fate” at the hands of lady Luck! Do you recall the confidence when you first shouted “check-mate”? What a marvelous strategic game chess is! I always wished for more pawns, more knights and more opposing queens either to beat or plea for help!

Some moments of our life; some unforgettable milestones of our gaming experience! Dear NON-Gamer, Do you feel curious about the previously mentioned experiences? Are you wondering whether or not the feeling is still strong? Well, lucky all! Oplon Games made the surprise, offering us a unique war-game made straight from the magic dust of our imagination. Empires at War is a strategy game that replicates in a fascinating way the historical period of the 1800s. Various scenarios cover the period from the French Revolutionary Wars, to the battle of the 3 Empires at Austerlitz, and furthermore, combining politics, economy and of course strategy from the top to the lowest tactical level.

It offers full control of one out of 17 historical states as appeared that time in Europe and around the Mediterranean Sea. The player is completely responsible for political interaction with the rest of the 16 players, having options like forming and breaking alliances, declaring war and issuing for peace. At the same time, an in-game communication platform enables direct interaction between players, enriching the political agenda with trust building, information exchange, intrigue, treachery, backstabbing and all those “sophisticated” manners that people develop when fighting each other. After all, “War is the continuation of politics by other means “(Carl von Clausewitz).

Players have to raise and maintain armies and fleets that will ensure the implementation of agreed and well scheduled plans. Sooner or later a campaign will be on the verge, either defending motherland or fighting for “vital” space. But “The sinews of war are infinite money” (Marcus Tullius Cicero), therefore before muskets shoot and ships set sails, the development of a sustainable economy is more than necessary.

From the never-ending Ukrainian steppes till the deepest mines in Africa; from humble wheat and wool till rare diamonds and expensive gold, 12 different commercial goods are available to be exploited in 3 different Continents. A well balanced trading system based on overall supply and demand guarantees that trade is indeed worth fighting for!

Each state has its own military tradition, and this applies to its recruiting pool. A large amount of different military units are ready to offer their services, forming numerous armies and mighty fleets. From the French Old Guard to the ferocious Russian Cossacks and the fearless Egyptian Mameluks, every single unit has its own attributes and adds significant characteristics to the whole army.

In the field of the battle the fate of two or more armies are absolutely at the hands of their leaders. Like pawns in a huge chess-board, Battalions, Regiments, Brigades and Generals are absolutely at the hands of their commanders. They will follow orders, aim targets and move in paths that lead to glory or to annihilation. The field Battle is the quintessence of EaW. Literally a game-in-game, with its own rules and philosophy, offers players a unique opportunity to claim wins based more on tactics and mind rather than luck and algorithms. And in contrary with all respected Bonaparte, in the Field Battle, ranks, experience and unit characteristics do make the difference! “When soldiers have been baptized in the fire of a battle-field, they have all one rank in my eyes” (Napoleon Bonaparte).

Without fancy graphs and peculiar animation, EaW is created to reveal “beautiful minds” rather than beautiful images. Like any other strategy game it creates a competitive environment, where player cooperation and interaction is greatly needed; but its structure and its mechanics restrict the abuse of power to the minimum. Thefeeling is more like playing with friends rather than fighting against numerous unknown strangers who stay sleepless waiting the perfect time to launch attacks at your villages”. It is a turn - based game which offers the necessary time to plan, discuss, communicate, deepen into its culture, and finally take the best decision without the haste of an online real-time competition. In any case EaW is indeed a cultured game; historical background, well known personalities, actual existing countries and armies are offering the game the necessary status to be included amongst “toys for big boys”.

Of course all interested have to face a significant amount of complexity, not much in user interface and rules understanding, but to assimilate and apply all the given information to their game play. Decisions like what unit to raise and how much of it; when to do so; declare war or stay allied, support a weak state against a Major Power or facilitate its plans; plan large scale campaigns taking into consideration the season and the distance you have to establish a supply line; sell or buy goods; build production sites or increase population; impose high taxation or offer colonial goods to your people; such dilemmas are only some of what you are expected to do! As an epilogue, I’d like to add that I really love the feeling and the atmosphere of that historical period. I also like the interaction and the competition with other players through gaming.

But most of all I enjoy the fact that this game allows everyone to think, re-think, take her/his time to travel back to that era, and finally submit orders under a spectrum of realism and nostalgia, hopefully on time!

Dimitris Stayrakis
EaW Beta Tester

4 game screenshots attached

Preview Video:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Dimitris,

Thanks for the intro and video, very cool. Several months ago I took advantage of the free 'tutorial' offered and ran into what I would describe as movement snafus. First several turns went very smoothly but after about 4 or 5 turns I had units refusing to move and ships disappeared. Not all, just a couple. I never was able to complete my tutorial. Not sure if it was me or the results of early design issues.

Having said that, I loved the game, the potential, the strategy, the detail, the scope and opportunity for major diplomacy and interaction the game system promises. At that time, the tactical field battle was hinted at but not ready. I did engage in a couple 'strategic' battles which I was happy with.

So I'm guessing the game is out of Beta and running live. I realize that they have only recently began running commercial, can you tell me how many games are up and running? 1,2,3?

Several questions about 1805.
Has the tactical field battle replaced the 'strategic' battle? I'm assuming the tactical field battle is between players? If so, possible between more than 2 players should the situation call for it?
Is the tactical field battle ran between strategic turns?
Are nations chosen as players join or are they randomly assigned after you get 17 players?
What happens to a nation when a player drops? tactical field battles? etc.
Do you ever start games without a full 17 player compliment?
And, what is the cost of playing 1805? Any additional fees? field battle fees? etc.

I am a big fan of the Napoleonic era and was happy to see a Oplon Games offer.

thanks in advance,
tony
Hello Tony!

Thank you for your kind words, and apologies for the delay in replying. Moving on to your points:

(02-19-2014, 12:01 AM)Nazareth Wrote: Dimitris,

Thanks for the intro and video, very cool. Several months ago I took advantage of the free 'tutorial' offered and ran into what I would describe as movement snafus. First several turns went very smoothly but after about 4 or 5 turns I had units refusing to move and ships disappeared. Not all, just a couple. I never was able to complete my tutorial. Not sure if it was me or the results of early design issues.

Actually its Makis, Dimitri was the player who made the review for us, but usually I am the one to contact for enquiries!

Yes, we had an issue with the solo game a good while back, but this should now be fixed. If it is not for you, or if you have any other issue, please let us know at support@eaw1805.com (describe the issue or send us a screenshot, mentioning your browser as well, and we usually fix those within 48 hours). You can always "drop" your solo game and restart, as many times as you want actually until you are comfortable with the mechanics presented.

(02-19-2014, 12:01 AM)Nazareth Wrote: So I'm guessing the game is out of Beta and running live. I realize that they have only recently began running commercial, can you tell me how many games are up and running? 1,2,3?

It is out of beta now yes! We are currently running 7 games, that is games 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and filling up game 15 for new players only. (Games 1 to 7 have ended) Soon we will open game 16 with "honour bet" in which usually more experienced players join. You can see everything in detail here:

http://www.eaw1805.com/listgames

(02-19-2014, 12:01 AM)Nazareth Wrote: Several questions about 1805.
Has the tactical field battle replaced the 'strategic' battle? I'm assuming the tactical field battle is between players? If so, possible between more than 2 players should the situation call for it?
Is the tactical field battle ran between strategic turns?

Ok, let me clarify a bit the "tactical battle" situation

1. The Field battle is still in beta. You can play it (ask for a country and we will give you the link to join beta) but we have not put it into the core game, because it is not 100% stable yet (it may crush, and will delay game processing as a result, which will result to players killing us in turn!)

2. Field battle is a feature. When a game opens, you chose whether you want Field battles or not. Its pointless now since we don't allow them in games for a while yet, but this is the idea: The game fully runs without Field battles, but this feature will also be available soon for wargamers more interested to fully control what happens.

3. Field Battles will not replace tactical (automatic) battles, they have a condition: both sides need to have 120 battalions or more in the field, otherwise an automatic battle will happen anyway. So this is a feature for LARGE battles, not for just any battle. (there are times you might have multiple battles per turn, especially if you are a colonial power and even single brigades can fight between them, trust me you don't want that many Field battles to run every turn!)

4. Yes Field Battle is only between players. And yes you can have field battles with multiple players as you have seen in the video (2 vs 2) The maximum number of players per side is 3. In such battles you need to cooperate with your allies, since every player only controls his own troops.

(02-19-2014, 12:01 AM)Nazareth Wrote: Are nations chosen as players join or are they randomly assigned after you get 17 players?

No, of course not. You choose what you want to play. If you click here for example http://www.eaw1805.com/scenario/1805/game/15/info to game 15 that is filling up, you can see which nations are already picked, and which ones are up for the taking. Click on the commander, and you pick one yourself (you can only have 1 nation per game - check the attachment, it should help you a bit)

(02-19-2014, 12:01 AM)Nazareth Wrote: What happens to a nation when a player drops? tactical field battles? etc.

a few things can happen:

- it is picked up by another player. We give 60 free credits for picking up inactives, making it worth your time since it is free for many turns
- It is not picked up by anyone in which case us (GMs) may play it! No diplo, no political changes, just movements and economy, so that you don't assume nothing will move there
- in case it is a lost cause or we couldn't find the time to run it, yes all battles happen automatically and no field battles will take place.

(02-19-2014, 12:01 AM)Nazareth Wrote: Do you ever start games without a full 17 player compliment?

No, we fill them up first. Of course it is possible for players to create their own games, in which case they may launch them whenever they feel like

(02-19-2014, 12:01 AM)Nazareth Wrote: And, what is the cost of playing 1805? Any additional fees? field battle fees? etc.

Turn costs range from 0.5 euro per turn to 1 euro per turn, depending on the country. For example Great Britain, France and Russia which are popular countries cost 1 euro per turn. Every other country is cheaper! This was a special half price offer for 2013, which however we are happy to continue.

Turns are weekly, so effectively a player can play Empires at War 1805 with a budget of 2 euro per month. (I pay more for my coffee every day!)

In addition to that, we have multiple special offers:

- 5 euro worth of credits just for opening an account!
- 30 euro worth of credits if you use your facebook/twitter accounts to advertise us
- 10 or 15 euro if you write a review/article for the game that we can use to advertise the game (just like Dimitris did for Suspence & Decision)
- 6 euro for every time you pick up an inactive country
- 15 euro free if you are a student
- Additional free credits for every time you pay us over 20 euro per payment

I know what you are thinking, yes it is possible for a player to play for months without paying anything... we have such players right now.

Are we making money out of it? No we are not, and we are not likely to make money for some time yet. But we do not care at the moment, this is a part time occupation for us, we don't live from it. Also it is a way to present our first "work" as we would like to make more games like EaW in the future. So for now we push advertising and expand our customer base; having so many people playing and enjoying it, is a reward for us already 8)

(02-19-2014, 12:01 AM)Nazareth Wrote: I am a big fan of the Napoleonic era and was happy to see a Oplon Games offer.

Then you are our core target market. Game 15 is still open for new players only (we will kick experienced ones if they try to join!), are you up for the challenge? Wink

Thank you for your inquiries, feel free to ask us anything anytime.

Cheers,
Makis

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)