Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PBM Probe: Project Libertine (08/17/2011)

I decided to pop in over at the Project Libertine Development Blog, tonight. Unfortunately, it appears that there have been no new updates to this blog since May 22nd, 2011. That's almost three months without an update, so I decided to go ahead and check out the Project Libertine Wiki, too.

There's not been updates there since March 16th, 2011, as best as I can tell, from looking at the revision history of the wiki's main page.

So, I am not sure what's going on with Hatch. Here's hoping that all is well with him. If you're looking for some exciting news that's PBM or quasi-PBM related, though, then you won't find anything happening with project Libertine, right now.
The good news is that I've been hard at work on the game again recently. I'm updating my blog fairly regularly. I still have no idea when I'll let some folks register for a sneak peek, but at least I'm getting something done on the game every day lately.

Hatch
www.projectlibertine.com
I'm still making good progress. I'm about to wrap up the manufacturing system. Next will be mining, buying/selling, and then the dreaded Combat system.

Hatch

http://projectlibertine.blogspot.com
I recently commissioned some artwork from an artist I found on DeviantArt for my login page and I think it turned out great.

Check it out at http://www.projectlibertine.com

I'm still not ready to let people take a peek at the game unfortunately, but I'm making progress every week.

Hatch
You got your money's worth with that drawing. Looks damn good. From the picture your game looks SciFi.
(09-02-2012, 05:48 PM)Starkadder Wrote: You got your money's worth with that drawing. Looks damn good. From the picture your game looks SciFi.

Yes. It's a 4X Space Game. I was definitely happy with the artist on that front screen artwork.
I'm making a lot of progress on ship combat in the game, and here's an example of my latest iteration of the combat report. This time you can see that the poor Goate Bucket is unarmed and is set upon by two ships. The Golden Rule attacked and was supported by the Eric's Lament, owned by the same player. No one came to the Goate Bucket's defense.

So I now have Initiative Value (IV) being partially calculated, and it's randomized for ships that have matching IVs. The weapons are now firing per turret and they are checking for range. The damage isn't real yet, but that will be coming soon so we'll be blowing up the Goate Bucket real nice.

I'm not happy with the formatting or content of the results of each turret firing yet. I'm going to make it so it shows what type of weapon is being fired. Any suggestions on this are appreciated. Note that I wasn't able to paste the formatting into the message boards here.

Right now the targeting selections are very basic. All aggressors target the initial defending ship, and all defending ships will target the initial aggressor. I'm really not completely sure how this is going to work in the long run. I may try out having the first supporting ship target the defender, and then the following ships target the first ship that decided to protect the defender then go down the list until it starts repeating. I do think I'll make it so that if a ship is actually on your enemy list you'll go out of your way to target that ship over any others in the opposing fleet, and if you have multiples you'll target the closest, and then randomize to break that tie, if any.

I also will fix the maneuvers misspelling at some point. Heh.

Rounds are probably going to be about two minutes. So the flowchart will be something like this:

1. Combat is Initiated by a player's ship against another ship. Any other ships at that location join based on their support/defend lists.
2. All combatants are placed in Combat Lock status with an unknown amount of time displayed.
3. Combat is resolved.
4. Combat reports are sent out to participants, but aren't available yet. (I can send messages with a delay on them.)
5. Multiply # of rounds by 2 minutes (or 3 or 5, not sure yet) and change all participants countdowns to end at combat start + that amount of time.

So if it goes for 10 rounds, the ships involved will be unavailable to use or even look at their stats until 20 minutes have passed. Then you'll find out if your ship still exists or not. This adds suspense and also cuts down on griefing combat some.

Right now for testing I just end the combat after 5 rounds. After I implement real damage I'll make it end based on conditions like one side being destroyed, fleeing, captured, surrendered, etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

While orbiting the planet Oak in the Marvin system, the unarmed IND Goate Bucket (33) was attacked by the IND Golden Rule (2).

The IND Eric's Lament (3) supports the attacker.
The IND Mobile Bay (37) is unarmed and remains neutral.
The IND Stormes (40) is unarmed and remains neutral.
The IND Shelton (41) is unarmed and remains neutral.
The IND Xyloth (45) is unarmed and remains neutral.
Order of Battle

Aggressors

IND Golden Rule (2)

IND Eric's Lament (3)

Defender

IND Goate Bucket (33)

Initial Targeting
Aggressors

The IND Golden Rule (2) targets the IND Goate Bucket (33)
The IND Eric's Lament (3) targets the IND Goate Bucket (33)
Defenders

The IND Goate Bucket (33) targets the IND Golden Rule (2)
Begin Combat
**** Round 1 ****

Golden Rule (2) IV: 2 Speed: 2
The Golden Rule manuevers towards the Goate Bucket at speed 2 to a distance of 8.
Turret #1 does not fire because Goate Bucket is beyond maximum range.
Turret #2 has no weapons.

Eric's Lament (3) IV: 2 Speed: 2
The Eric's Lament manuevers towards the Goate Bucket at speed 2 to a distance of 8.

Goate Bucket (33) IV: 1 Speed: 1
The Goate Bucket retreats at speed 1 to a distance of 9.
**** Round 2 ****

The Eric's Lament manuevers towards the Goate Bucket at speed 2 to a distance of 7.

The Golden Rule manuevers towards the Goate Bucket at speed 2 to a distance of 7.

The Goate Bucket retreats at speed 1 to a distance of 8.
**** Round 3 ****

The Eric's Lament manuevers towards the Goate Bucket at speed 2 to a distance of 6.

The Golden Rule manuevers towards the Goate Bucket at speed 2 to a distance of 6.

The Goate Bucket retreats at speed 1 to a distance of 7.
**** Round 4 ****

The Golden Rule manuevers towards the Goate Bucket at speed 2 to a distance of 5.
Turret #1 fires at the Goate Bucket and hits for 62 damage.

The Eric's Lament manuevers towards the Goate Bucket at speed 2 to a distance of 5.
Turret #1 fires at the Goate Bucket and misses.

The Goate Bucket retreats at speed 1 to a distance of 6.
**** Round 5 ****

The Golden Rule manuevers towards the Goate Bucket at speed 1 to a distance of 5.

The Eric's Lament manuevers towards the Goate Bucket at speed 1 to a distance of 5.

The Goate Bucket retreats at speed 1 to a distance of 6.
Combat Ends